Request details

Spacing Before or After Paragraphs

Would love to have the ability to adjust the spacing before or after a paragraph as InDesign and Photoshop. Right now I can change the line height, but there needs to be another setting to adjust spacing between paragraph blocks.

272 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mitchell Fishman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Peter Villevoye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note: in web design, Space Before and After behaves differently because the CSS technology behind it differs. E.g. space between paragraphs is not calculated as the sum of After + Before but just set as the largest of the two. But I wonder if Adobe XD is already up for such a debate...

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@MaMaLy - It's a joke that Soft Returns don't work.
    I don't understand how Adobe expects us to take this application seriously, when they missing so much Basic support for standard text editing.

• Joachim Tillessen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The July release brought spacing after paragraphs. Yay, I love it. In order to build typographic hierarchy in a single text area, we need the ability to set the line height individually for each paragraph too. Automatic text flow instead of shifting boxes around. If you want to get there please support this feature as well: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/16397209-independently-adjust-the-line-height-of-an-individ

• John Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, need this feature. Print guy in a web world doing my first larger scale wireframe in XD. Infinitely better than comping a site in Photoshop or InDesign, but typography controls like this really lacking and necessary..

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I REALLY need this feature, eps as it concerns opening my existing photoshop files. We put a lot of love into our typography in our designs-- and it correlates to padding or margins on p tags, etc. As a shop we cannot use XD till this is resolved

• Frank Prendergast commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Delighted to hear this feature is on the way - I am brand new to XD and I have spent ages trying to figure out how to do this because I just wouldn't believe the feature didn't exist!

• Renee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The latest XD update gives us the ability to import PSDs into XD, however upon trying this yesterday I found it was mostly good but the main problem was that XD does not retain paragraph spacing or indenting. Please add this feature, it's very important.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because I work with my clients' IT teams, I need to be able to accurately show them the spacing desired between paragraphs.

It is inefficient to break up paragraphs into single text boxes in order to space them appropriately. But I do it. Because that is the only way to make sure the teams understand the look we want.

Please help me be more efficient for my clients by adding this functionality.

• Anthony Otyehel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you can achieve it with CSS you should be able to achieve it with XD. This helps with determining the flow of copy where there is a need to estimate content character counts over large amounts of text and the flow (without creating separate boxes).

• Jannah Francis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is exactly what I need, Paragraph spacing before and after. Plus being able to rename character styles would be helpful. Right now I would just use indesign instead of adobe XD. It is such a hassle. I really want to keep using this software but it is hard when there's no paragraph styling.

• Zach Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If paragraph spacing is added at the same level that Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign has it, we'll also need a command for inserting Soft-Breaks or Soft-Returns vs a Hard Return. Keying Shift + Return usually accomplishes this.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1,000,000,000

Please add the ability to control the line-height/leading between individual paragraphs within the same text area.

• MaMaLy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's very hard to maintain a consistent layout with each piece of text in a separate block (which is the workaround for not having Paragraph Spacing.) Paragraph spacing managed separately from line spacing within the same text block is essential.

• Adam M Babkes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so important especially as we are trying to show real content. Trying to mirror true web CSS in the attributes that we are given would be ideal - especially with an export.

• Deliutak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Including editing individually highlighted bodies of copy individually from whole text box. This is impossible to achieve. i.e., a single text box can have a header, a subhead and body copy with different paragraph spacings.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base