Request details

Paragraph spacing / Soft Returns

User should be able to use a soft return (shift+return) to break a line of text without adding paragraph spacing .

60 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steven McClenning shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michelle Evers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To illustrate this ticket.
    I use Windows 10 Pro.
    As long as I have the text field selected, you can see the line break.
    If i stop editing the text field, the line break also gets a text break.
    Um dieses Ticket zu illustrieren.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very ironic that You can't do that in the desktop app, yet in the web prototype comments, that's the only way to add a new line.

• Adam Trabold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would help me out a ton! `Enter/Return` = paragraph break (adds paragraph spacing), `Shift+Enter/Return` for line-break (does not add paragraph spacing).

• Ron Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Version 19, and still no support for a character that is supported in nearly every other application on the Mac since at least 1989. If someone from Adobe could just explain why it's not supported, I think that would ease a lot of frustration. From the user side of things, it just seems like a simple fix — but I'm guessing it's not?

• Ron Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't even realize soft returns were a feature. I thought it was just part of the character set. It is shameful that soft returns can't even be copy/pasted in this program! So much effort involved to work around this shortcoming.

• Konrad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow line breaks that "ignore" paragraph spacing. As in other Adobe CS products with Shift + Enter

• nikos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such an elementary feature and should be implemented as soon as possible.

• Hugues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apparently, the difference between new paragraph (<p></p>) and new line (<br/>) has been implemented on the Windows version of XD but not in the macOs version. We, macOs users, would like this feature too, please.

• Frenx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this request, a very basic feature for (web) designer.
    Workaround: insert a lot of spaces until text goes to new line...

• AdminCorey Lucier (Adobe) (Admin, Adobe) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you elaborate? Area text will auto-wrap text. It's only when hitting ENTER/RETURN that you will introduce a new paragraph (and as such only this break will take on the paragraph spacing). Lines that exist due to auto-wrapping will not.

• Hugues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Text Parameter box, you've added the possibility to set a *Paragraph* spacing that is different than the *Line* Spacing. Very good idea!
    But the possibilities for using this are limited, as XD does not make any difference yet between a new paragraph (Return key, <p> in HTML) and a new Line (Shift + Return Key, or <br /> in html)

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a joke that this feature doesn't exist already.

No Line breaks?
    Isn't this an app for making websites?

The <br> tag has been around in html 1.m since 1994 by the way.
    How it doesn't exist in an app made almost 25 years later is beyond me.

http://www.the-pope.com/lostHTML.htm#ht0a

Feedback and Knowledge Base