Add xCode export to the list of functions... great for informative apps

69 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fabian Becerra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you tell us more about how you’d like this to work? Do you want XD to export image assets and insert them directly into the correct folders/filenames in an existing Xcode project? Or do you want XD to generate Objective-C / Swift code to create a brand new Xcode project?

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • VXP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

XD needs to generate Objective-C / Swift code!!
    That would be a killer update and Adobe will win the race in bridging UX/UI and Developers.
    I will join this revolution. My money is in Adobe.

• Osama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

used this tool before but I really hope in the near future xd can develop a native developer plugin for Xcode like it. Will sure be more stable for xd users & make asset communication between des & dev teams even more seamless

https://youtu.be/lnb55YXguO4

• C-squared commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To summarize, we all want to be able todo one thing: export an XD UI artboard set to Xcode as a "new project."
    Ideal features:
    1. artboards as View Controllers composed of individual elements (assets, symbols, text, photos)
    2. assets in place with colors and sizes the same, assets in svg format, text in same format AS text, artboard titles as Controller View Titles, bars/"buttons" in XD export as separate pieces with their animation functionality
    3. animated transitions in place and working between artboards/view controllers
    4. Same format settings as XD artboards/assets (scrolling points, auto resize, shadows, borders, etc) like he said --> https://adobexd.uservoice.com/users/186292575-viacheslav
    Logistically, I say have an export checklist like:
    A. New or Add to/Update existing project? (formerly exported xd ui has been updated so a whole new one isn't created it just "updates" former export)
    B. Artboards to "Controller View" or to assets or to ______ or _____
    C. Add special fonts? Y N If Y, from Adobe Fonts? Google Fonts? Upload Font files?
    D. Keep colors? Y N
    E. Export images as PNG, JPG (etc)
    F. Export assets as SVG?
    G. Keep special formatting? (shadows, borders, scrolling, scrolling positions, etc
    H. Keep animations/transitions? Export triggers as "buttons"?

Does that include everyone's main wants??
    Thanks Adobe!! Loving XD now on to Xcode! (if I am both designer and coder, which I currently am, no reason to waste time in XD if I have to redo everything in Xcode, right?)

PS OMG the glitchiness of Id or Ps and the crashes --with no decent transitions/ interactions and lack of easy flow bt multiple artboards and the complex UI as opposed to clean easy simple gorgeous XD ui...no way I'm going back to those, even with the export feature.

• Max Wyss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To answer Peter Flynn's question, I would see two stages; first export the assets/items to an existing project. In a second phase, creating a new project would be very interesting.

• Marcos Ravena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, guys. In my brief search for something like that, I have found some tools that export PSD layouts to XCode (you need prepare your PSD file with some commands and name of layers to work fine).

My point is: I knew recently a site that converts XD files to PSD files. Like magic, simple and quick. Sometimes you just need make few adjustments in texts if you are using non default fonts.

So, with your XD file converted to a PSD file, you just need to convert it to XCode project. In theory. I don't test it. But...

You can think: "so, would be more simple if I just make my layout directly in Photoshop?"
    The quick answer is YES!
    But, a lot of people are using XD to make prototypes, with navigation, interactions etc. Photoshop can't do that.

Anyway, just sharing a possibility that came in my mind.

Best regards!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please! XD to generate Objective-C / Swift/XML code to create a brand new Xcode project. How close are we to this being possible? Thank you so much!

• Tristan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Designing a (IOS) prototype app with XD works perfect.
    Coding in Swift through X-Code works perfect too :)

Linking the prototype from XD with the code from X-Code and launching the actual product in the app store would mean to melt the best of those two worlds!?

What do you guys think?

cheersTristan

• William Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Either way, but I like the concept of developing the UI first in XD then creating the Xcode project using the imported UI

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could be a « save as » feature to create a xcode project

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a UX Designer and Swift developer, I would absolutely love the ability to export an XD project to a new Xcode swift project. Properly constrained assets in either Swift code or Storyboard would be wonderful. :)

• Boyo Darwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to export my Adobe XD project to a new XCode project. This should be quite simple. XCode is based on storyboards, which is pretty much what XD is. This could work by importing the assets and creating the default XCode project files, and inserting the design into the storyboard. For example, I just finished designing a simple informative app. I want to put this into XCode, but it is much simpler to create prototypes on XD than to actually put it into XCode. If you could add a function that would create a boilerplate, or "template", that would be fantastic.

• Katlego commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

XD to generate Objective-C / Swift/XML code to create a brand new Xcode project

• Fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be incredible to get an output .xib file using auto-layout from an XD art board.
    I know there would be an extra step of opening, then copying the xib into Main.storyboard but the time savings would easily make up for that without having to hack into Main.storyboard (though, maybe that's not a horrible idea?)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like XD for laying out everything, and then exported to Swift view controllers for each pages. That would be super nice. Laying out in XD is much easier than Xcode.

• Jo Jacobs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, I really can recommend http://www.psd2xcode.de from j-apps. Even if it is only in Version 1.2 (Cause we are a 2 men developer team only) it works fine with Photoshop and does generate the storyboard and all assets for your App, including all image sizes needed.
    maybe Adobe is interested to have a cooperation do the same with XD?
    Best regards, Jo Jacobs

• C-squared commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want a WORKING model! So that means exporting it into X-code, ready to go as an app (provided we've met all the correct Apple design criteria).

In Muse, I am SO limited on Java/buttons/animations that I have to go out to Animate or Ps or my worst nightmare Ai and do the interactions, then import those BACK into the "design" in Indesign, THEN put that on XD...it's just too many steps to set up.

I get using one program to design pretty elements, then importing those into my UI design program (which honestly id is way better than muse for this, at least functionality wise). But from there, I want my UI design to be functional and ready to export to Xcode (Swift). I really had hoped XD would do this, but honestly why would I use XD instead of just keeping it in indesign?

My dream? A Dreamweaver for Apps. Where I put everything in in html/css/java code or real-view (my choice to code it or use graphics screen--bc Adobe preset buttons never do what I want and they don't animate well BUT I don't want to have to write code when I could just drop it in from library).

I create real, beautiful, functional apps, and I don't see why Adobe doesn't make it so I can create the gorgeousness AND functionality in Adobe and easily export it to Apple Swift!! It really makes me want to just ditch Adobe except photoshop and code the whole thing in Swift instead...but I really don't want to do it that way because--UGH coding makes me cross eyed and its ugly.

• Alexander Mallinckrodt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want XD to export image assets and insert them directly into the correct folders/filenames in an existing Xcode project. Or XD to generate Objective-C / Swift code to create a brand new Xcode project, i'm not entirely sure which is better, it's up to you.

• Adam t commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need export assets directly to FTP SERVER , just like Adobe Muse , is it difficult to understand ? We need working page , no prototype !

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base