Adobe XD: Feature Requests

We love to get feature requests for Adobe XD! You can view existing feature requests, vote on them and add your comments, or you can submit a new feature request.

While creating a new feature request, please include:

1. Description of the feature
  2. Why this is valuable to you
  3. If possible, an image or video that helps us understand your feature request
--------------------------------------------
To report bugs, you can reach our support team in the following locations:

You can view a current list of known issues at this location.

Other useful links :
  1. XD user guide
  2. XD on Twitter
  3. XD on Facebook
Thank you
Adobe XD Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow component instance overrides to be inherited by all states

Currently (XD 24.0.22.19), if I drop an instance of a component and then adjust part of it (text in a button, size of the instance, etc.), that override is only applied to the selected state of the instance. So, if I have a button with many states (normal, hover, disabled, active, default action, etc.) I have to manually apply that override to each state of the instance. This is extremely tedious and error prone.

Please provide the ability to have an override of an instance be inherited by all states in that component instance.

337 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

feature-under-review  ·  71 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Color Agnostic Character Styles

I want the option when setting up character styles that there doesn't need to be a color associated with the character style.

For example, I set up my H1, H2, H3 with their respective font families, font weight, & font size. But my design has different background colors. Sometimes my H1 is lack on a white background, which is how I set it up in the Character Styles. While other times my H1 is white on a black background,. But if I change the H1 to white it no longer correlates to the H1 I setup in my character styles…

127 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Store component with states in CC Libraries

I noticed that if I add a component with multiple states to the shared library, only the currently active state is stored. Please allow storing the components with all of its states in the library.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Need a way to duplicate master component

It would be great to have a way to duplicate a master component - create a copy within assets panel. If I have a component that has several states and I need to make a dark mode version of that component, I would like to just duplicate that component and make my changes instead of having to recreate it from scratch as a master component.

83 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Scale all component states when scaling the instance

I have animated icons with auto animate and wish to use them in two sizes: Small size in the menu and big size in the features page.
    When I scale up or down the component it only scale that one specific state. We need it a way to scale all states so we can have a few less components. and a fast workflow.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create new master component from existing component

◆ Overview
    After releasing "State" feature, it's been able to prepare complex interactions like "hover." Following feature may help to reduce required time preparing a new component with similar behaviors/instructions.

◆ Actual
    New component with state settings every time when a similar behavior is expected in different look and feel.
    (Currently, preparing another XD file is believed to be the only solution to avoid this by selecting "Make it as local component" after loading it from another XD file.")

◆ Expected
    By select "Use it as a new Master Component" is to make a new Master component instead of copying…

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Relocating master components

Sometimes you need to reorganize your design system files. Once you have created a master components, you cannot move it to another file, and you are stuck with the current file forever.
    It would be great if you can just move your Master Component from one document to another.

188 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Component States in repeat grid

Let's say we want to add a Radio Group and use our Design System Radio Button Component for that. Currently it's not possible to set one of the components to the selected state.

As a workaround we can create the list with the repeat grid, then ungroup it and change the desired item. But that can't be how it's intended to work.

ps: I feel bad for lodging a Feature Request days after you released such a great feature. It sounds lI'm ike complaining instead of being thankful - thats not the case, the component states are awesome,d thank you…

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Rearrange Component States in Property Inspector

I'd love to be able to rearrange the component state order in the property inspector (the panel on the right in Design mode & Prototype mode). I would also love to be able to resize the section for component states. Currently it maxes out at 4 before you need to scroll.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Choose layer view mode (all layers vs. artboard-only layers)

It would be great for the user to be able to choose how they want to view their layers—like sketch or like current XD. Let the user decided which works best for them. I like seeing everything, not just the artboard I am on.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allowing Text Binding between Component States

For example, when you have a button with several states containing a label and you want to change the default text label, you have to update every state of the component one after one.

It will be nice to be able to define a text as persistant inside the component states.
    Perhaps a simple checkbox in the Properties?!
    Or a way to link/bind only some states and not some others for more flexibility!

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Escape button consistency

When I type in a text box on the artboard and I hit escape it keeps the text I just changed and takes me out of editing mode with the cursor.

When I type in a layer to change the name of it and I hit escape it removes the changes I just made and take me out of editing mode with the cursor. To effectively keep the changes I must hit return on the keyboard.

If I hit return on the keyboard while editing a text box on the artboard I get what I would expect -- a carriage…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

feature-in-the-backlog  ·  5 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow Component State change while working inside component

(1) While editing a component, you can't change the state of the component unless you click on the parent layer first.

The State menu in the inspector panel disappears when you select anything other than the root layer. This makes it so you cannot change the state unless you have the root layer selected.

Instead, the State menu should be available while any layer inside the component is selected.

Let's say I'm making a button and changing the size of the shape layer. I want to match the Default state and Hover state, so with the shape layer selected I…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Delete unused components

Please add a feature that will allow the user to remove unused components from the library. Currently, I have to click on each component and check if it is on the canvas. Bearing in mind that there are several hundred of them in my file, it becomes very troublesome and causes a mess in the library. A similar option is available in e.g. Adobe InDesign and is very helpful when working with a file.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Direction control of the "Stack" feature

The "Stack" feature added recently is very useful, it helps a lot when designing components, but it is still limited.

Today the default behavior is always to push the elements to the right, and this is not the correct thing every time.

The resource could have a way of defining which way the elements will be pushed, similar to the responsiveness control.

Example: In a navbar I have buttons that are fixed on the right, when updating the button text, alignment on the right is lost.

Attachments:
    "Stack example - Master component.png" shows the master component and the configuration used.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Libraries increase the design file size

When I use a library file its MBs get added to every of the design files I use. And if I nest a library in another one e.g. I have some patterns that combine multiple component libraries, the pattern library becomes huge, slow, and impractical to use. Why is it that libraries have to be "copied" and their size added to that of the design file. There must be a more optimal way to handle libraries.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reaching out. Since you asked, libraries are sync’d into your document in order to enable you to work while disconnected. That being said, we’re looking at alternate ways of sync’ing linked assets, so I’ll keep this open.

17. Sort components in assets panel alphabetically

It would be beneficial for us to sort the Components list by name (Alphabetically). Reason being, when we attach the Cloud doc to a new project file, components seem to be in a random order. If we could re-sort the list alphabetically on each file, it would make organization of large counts of components much easier.

85 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Renaming component's default state

Components can be very different from one another and the initial state can mean different contexts to the user.

Let us be able to rename the component's default state, so it can make more sense during the component building process.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Improved Component State Performance

Component states are awesome, but right now the size increase for a complex component is not scalable. After doing some testing, components appear to increase their size proportionally to the number of states.

For example if I have a Default state, create a new state and move the components, say in a mask, to do an animation the size has now doubled. Then if I copy that to a new artboard, it doubles again, because both states get carried around. Therefore what originally would have been a master with an instance in 2 separate artboards with size 2X is now…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Resize on hover from center point instead of top-left corner

Can we have it that if hover state is bigger than default state, it will resize from center point.

I'm thinking of using cards components on my designs, and having them get bigger on hover. but to be honest with ya, having them resize from top-left corner on hover is weird AF.

I can't think of a scenario where resizing from top-left corner on hover is expected. but def. resizing from center point is the more used up case.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 62 63
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base