Adobe XD: Feature Requests

We love to hear feature requests for Adobe XD from you! UserVoice works best when you file a single idea per submission, but feel free to file as many submissions as you’d like!

Please include:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  3. If possible, an image or movie to help us understand what you’re talking about
--------------------------------------------
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING CHANGE FOR BUG REPORTS

IMPORTANT: On August 30, 2019 User Voice Bugs forum will transition to read-only.

You can reach our support team in the following:
- Adobe XD Community Forum, https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobexd

For current XD Known Issues list visit,

Thank you!
Adobe XD Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Edit somthing in the "default state" in a master component with multiple other states - destroys all other states

Edit somthing in the "default state" in a master component with multiple other states - this will destroy all other states.

You will have to start over completely as this will mess up the interactions totally from one state to another and then you have to copy ALOT of things on the rest of canvas if you find of this late in the proces.

FIX ASAP!!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Reset different aspects of a component

Currently "Reset to master component" resets all aspects of a component including text overwrites and color overwrites.

I'd like to have the option to keep specific overrides of a component on reset. e.g.:
    - Keep text overwrites
    - Keep color overwrites
    - Keep image overwrite

This would help to keep content and design separated and be very helpful. Especially If local adjustments where made and master was changed afterwards

Currently "Reset to master component" is the same as "Delete component" + "Paste master in original position". As a result I need to re-enter everything again.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

feature-under-review  ·  1 comment  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add tint colors linked to base color

It would be really useful to set a base colour, and then create tints of this colour (like you can in InDesign) which are linked to the global base colour asset.

Currently, I get these tints by setting opacities of a base colour - but I want to be able to use the colours without any transparency & keep them linked.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Keyboard shortcuts for changing component states.

With a component selected, a keyboard shortcut to cycle through its possible states would save a lot of mousing between artboards and the LHS panel. This is particularly true for screens with multiple components. If they could all be selected and reset to default and cycled through their states, this would be a helpful addition

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create new Symbol from Existing Symbol (while preserving states)

I'm using the new convert sketch library in XD to import all the different libraries i have. While I appreciate the ability to add states, it has one major flaw.

I cannot create a new symbol from an existing symbol that already has the states i want in it.

A good example of this is my button system. See screenshot for how it exists in sketch now.

Basically i have 20 different types of buttons (this is an enterprise design system) each with 2 different sizes (big and small) and each of those button types comes in 5 states:

Default,…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bring Back Nudge WHILE Viewing Distance Indicator (Previously Alt+Arrow)

Please return the ability to nudge components with the arrow key *while viewing the pixel distance indicator simultaneously during movement.

After the October 2019 update, users can no longer press alt+arrow key to nudge AND view the pink pixel distance indicator at the same time. The distance indicator only appears when tapping alt but not arrow (only on a static component).

In the past, after I selected a component, then hovered my cursor over a different nearby component, I could hold alt to see the distance indicator between the 2. As I nudged the selected component with the arrow keys,…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Going back to instance after editing master

A frequent flow is to edit master (ctrl+shift+k) and then zoom out, find the instance I was working on, zoom in+pan and continue the work.
    It would be very nice having a way to do the reverse flow (going back to previous instance to continue the work in the same windows I was without the zoom+hand).

I wondered the possible solutions:
    - A temporary floating button after going to master to return to the instance.
    - Shortcut to return to the previous instance.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Highlight component in assets panel when instance is selected on canvas

To right click on the instance and select 'Reveal Component in Assets' adds extra clicks and cognitive load on user. Please add a feature to just highlight or show checkmark on the used Asset when it's instance is selected on an artboard.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Organize, Edit & Name artboards in XD like you can in Illustrator

It would be very useful to be able to Organize, Arrange, Edit & Name artboards in XD exactly like you can in Illustrator.

Currently in XD you have to arrange the boards linearly from left to right in order to share and export them properly. If you could organize the artboards like you can in AI it would allow for smoother organization, grouping and exporting capabilities.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow users to adjust the frequency of auto-save or to turn auto-save on / off

(posted in the right forum this time)

As a user, I want to be able to adjust the auto save frequency on cloud documents so that I have more control over my system and my file, and my workflow is not interrupted.

Right now, the auto save seems to save my work every X edits, which would be great if XD didn't slow down or freeze during this, unfocus typing, and generally interrupt my entire workflow.

For example this just happened to me again: I manually saved a document. Then I clicked into an element (not component) and adjusted the…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. An option to not include text values in components

Lets say you have a Button designed as a component but you want it to have different labels in different situations - the problem I have: every time I change something in the primary component, the label always sets back as well. It would be nice if I could set some "Lorem Ipsum" as a placeholder text that can be changed in child components without repercussions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Save to or Push Updates to Master Components

"Save to Master Component" and/or "Push/Save as Master Component", so that any changes you've made to a component can be put into the master.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Detach/float the layer panel

I want to be able to undock the layer manager from the main Adobe XD window like in Photoshop etc. That way i can have Adobe XD on one monitor and the layer manager on the other one.
    This would increase the productivity by a lot, because you dont have to switch between the components and layers, but can have them both open at once.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Improve contrast in measurement decorations

The distance between objects hotkey is amazing, but very often hard to read, due to the overlap of other objects or background colors. I've attached two examples where the distance between objects is very hard to see.

Putting the measurement in a box would make sure it is always easy to read

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Intelligent Component States

Let's say I create a simple button component. Then I want to have an outlined button. Then I want to have both buttons have a state containing an icon. Then I want all these to have a hover, active, and disabled states. On top of all this, I want a version of all of this for light mode and a version for dark mode.

See where I am getting at? I am creating a design system that my team can reuse for their designs. Many of the components I am trying to create are fairly complex and creating a separate…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Auto layout

There is one thing that frustrates me every time I work with XD.
    The moment when the height of an element changes and I have to adjust all margins and the height of e.g. cards. And all because the text of a line got shorter.

Figma recently introduced "Auto layout". This allows to define the margins of elements within a "group" and thus complex list/grids that dynamically adapt to the content.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrKX46DzkGQ

It would be great if, after "Content aware layout (padding), the margin could now be addressed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. A component nested into another component should show the override version rather than the master version when pulled from the menu

Senario:
    We create a button with a rectangle fill and generic text and turn it into a master component called "button". We then place an instance of that button into a master "footer" component and override the generic text of the button to be specific to the footer. If I now copy/paste the footer component it keeps the override text. If I opt+drag to copy the footer it keeps the override text. BUT if I drag the component out from the component menu all nested components revert back to the text from their masters.

Expected result:
    Everything in a master…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Place images like InDesign

It would be great if XD can place images or psd files into design like indesign. And also linked files must be updated in XD after editing images or psd files.

For example; while creating a landing page, the hero image is a complicated design; designed in photoshop. Right now if i wanted to edit hero image i have to open psd file, edit it, export it and place it to XD. But it can be like indesign; cmd+double click placed psd file on XD then PS opens, i edit and save then on XD updated new image on screen.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

feature-in-the-backlog  ·  0 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Library Component Overrides

In Sketch, when you have a library component, you can easily override the color and text in the side panel.

for example, I will use a button. In XD, if I create a button in a library and use the symbol in one of my files, in order to change the text of the button i have to edit the symbol instance. If I want the background of the button to be a different color, I once again have to edit the symbol instance. If I then make updates to the button (say, different corner rounding) in the library and…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Copy a component inside the master component and edit the copy afterwards - does not reflect on rest!

A master component can consist of many other master components. Lets call them 'inside master components.

If one of these inside master components is duplicated in the master and then edited (fx. a text) the duplication is done correctly, but the edit does not work. Even if you rename the new inside master component.

After duplicate, I have to ungroup the duplicated one and make a new inside component before it works.

Please do something about this. Extremely annoying.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base