Adobe XD: Feature Requests

We love to hear feature requests for Adobe XD from you! UserVoice works best when you file a single idea per submission, but feel free to file as many submissions as you’d like!

Please include:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  3. If possible, an image or movie to help us understand what you’re talking about
--------------------------------------------
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING CHANGE FOR BUG REPORTS

IMPORTANT: On August 30, 2019 User Voice Bugs forum will transition to read-only.

You can reach our support team in the following:
- Adobe XD Community Forum, https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobexd

For current XD Known Issues list visit,

Thank you!
Adobe XD Team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Flex, Grid, padding and margin property Frames

My goal is to have a trustable source of truth of my design system outside codes. I already tried hard, but can't do that in a scalable manner, there is always a huge gap, overly because a few features are missing. Flex behaviour, Grid behaviour, consize padding and margin. Maybe they are hard to create or have performance constraints.

To be scalable and to enable my design system to evolve, I build things using principles of the Atomic Design Methodology. Without the above features, having a single tweak on font size on a deeply nested component like a input label…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Linked SVG images

I like to imported linked SVGs into my project. I'd like them to behave the same way as linked images, meaning I can easily update all instances of the SVG.

My use case is we are using a lot of SVG icons in our design projects. When the icon is changed, we would like to be able to quickly update all screens with the new icons. With the way XD currently treats SVGs, I would have to manually update all occurences of the icon OR transform them to a component, which would spam the component library with hundreds of icons.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Filter components by current artboard

It would be great to have an option in assets panel to only show components that being used on current artboard.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Component states need to share fixed elements

Situation:
    I create a component to represent a live video chat head in a group chat app. I will use a static image for the prototype. The chat head will have several states, including hover, selected, muted, etc. I need to create 30 of these. After I built the component with all the states, I created a repeating grid of them so that I can drag my 30 photos into the components.

Problem 1:
    The drag fails to propagate the photos to the other 29 instances in the grid... it only puts one photo into the drag targeted instance

Why…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Placeholder Fields in Components

When designing components in XD, I create components with placeholder content.

Example: I Have a widget with a title 'Expenses' and placeholder content '$X,XXX.XX'. I do this because I have a variety of screens with the widget that has different values in the placeholder content. Ex: '$9,473.56' or '$7,120.58'.

Whenever I change the master component to update the design, all the instances of placeholder content I created are reverted back to '$X,XXX.XX'.

I need a way to to keep certain texts fields in components from changing when updating components.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Color Agnostic Character Styles

I want the option when setting up character styles that there doesn't need to be a color associated with the character style.

For example, I set up my H1, H2, H3 with their respective font families, font weight, & font size. But my design has different background colors. Sometimes my H1 is lack on a white background, which is how I set it up in the Character Styles. While other times my H1 is white on a black background,. But if I change the H1 to white it no longer correlates to the H1 I setup in my character styles…

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Default component name should be content of contained text

When making text a component, can the name of the component be the what is in the line of text?

Example: I have a text box that says 'Home' in my nav that I want to add a hover to. When I select the text box press + in the PI on the right to make a component and add a hover, it has renamed my layer/new component "Component 2 – 1". Would rather it rename "Home - Component" or something so I don't have to re name every nav item in my layers and components on the name level.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Option to set a Fixed height / Width of a trigger element for Hover State

◆ Overview
    The following causes not behaving as expected when it's placed horizontally.

◆ Actual
    Width is automatically adjusted based on either highest or widest element within a state once one of the elements in Hover State is edited.

◆ Expected
    Optional setting to set a fixed height and/or width of triggering element for hover state.

◆ Why is this valuable to you?
    Though if I prepare Master Component with finalized contents each time, it is feasible with current version; however, if this option would be added, it'd be helpful to reduce a prep time for prototype.

◆ Reference
    https://xd.adobe.com/view/62a73241-5d41-4051-4c2f-ece3a50bda6d-1496/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. "Use it as a new Master Component" feature

◆ Overview
    After releasing "State" feature, it's been able to prepare complex interactions like "hover." Following feature may help to reduce required time preparing a new component with similar behaviors/instructions.

◆ Actual
    New component with state settings every time when a similar behavior is expected in different look and feel.
    (Currently, preparing another XD file is believed to be the only solution to avoid this by selecting "Make it as local component" after loading it from another XD file.")

◆ Expected
    By select "Use it as a new Master Component" is to make a new Master component instead of copying…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow a user the ability to drag-and-drop layers into a Master Component.

My feature request would be to allow a user the ability to drag-and-drop layers into a Master Component.Currently you can't drag-and-drop layers into a Master Component. My use case would be: I begin a design in XD and have multiple screens/artboards, then a week goes by and my designer has the branding logo ready for me to add. I now have to ungroup my master component, regroup, "Make Component" again, and then re-duplicate it across all my artboards

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

limitation-with-workaround  ·  0 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Scale all component states when scaling the instance

I have animated icons with auto animate and wish to use them in two sizes: Small size in the menu and big size in the features page.
    When I scale up or down the component it only scale that one specific state. We need it a way to scale all states so we can have a few less components. and a fast workflow.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Expandable CC library panel

Dear Adobe, why isn't the XD library panel expandable like it is in the other Adobe apps? I wanna be able to drag it out in height so I don't get a tiny viewport. When a library is large it takes forever to scroll that tiiiiny scrollbar down to the assets that are out of sight. Why design the library panel different to what it is in all the other CC apps? Doesn't make sense.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Edit element in CC Library

When opening a CC-Library in XD, I can't edit the elements inside the library. In other CC-Tools like Photoshop there is a edit-command in the context menu of every item. That's missing in XD, or is there another workflow for editing library-elements?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. "Make component of each selection" by selecting several objects

Dear XD Team,

Often we build up a master file as a design grid system and this file for example we include all the icons. If we have lets say 30 icons, then we have to click and create a component one by one.

What we are missing is a "Make component of each selection" feature.

If that would be in the next update – that would be amazing!

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
    Serkan

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Hide Artboard Border/Outline

Hide Artboard Border/Outline. Like photoshop have the option to hide the outline of artboards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Preview blend mode by hovering over selection in property inspector

• When selecting image appearance mode - (i.e Normal, Darken, Multiply e.c.t) have the image update when hovering over the menu like in photoshop.

• Rather than having no preview and having to blindly select before viewing how it would look. then undoing over and over

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ll leave this open for now (and edit it to reflect the issue with blend modes), but you can cycle through blend modes with Alt+Shift+plus and Alt+Shift+minus while the object is selected. Hope that helps!

17. Show assigned name of character style in assets panel grid view

First of all thanks for the latests updates in November – they are great ?

My team often struggles to find the needed character style in the assets panel. In the 'List View' you can give the fonts certain names; eg: H2 Titles 50/60 px.
    image: List View

When we switch to the 'Grid View' (which portrays the components larger and thus more useful in that case), then the given name unfortunately disappears and only the font names are visible, which we can do very little with.
    image: Grid View

It would be great to get this issue improved in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Choose layer view mode (all layers vs. artboard-only layers)

It would be great for the user to be able to choose how they want to view their layers—like sketch or like current XD. Let the user decided which works best for them. I like seeing everything, not just the artboard I am on.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Improved Component State Performance

Component states are awesome, but right now the size increase for a complex component is not scalable. After doing some testing, components appear to increase their size proportionally to the number of states.

For example if I have a Default state, create a new state and move the components, say in a mask, to do an animation the size has now doubled. Then if I copy that to a new artboard, it doubles again, because both states get carried around. Therefore what originally would have been a master with an instance in 2 separate artboards with size 2X is now…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  01 : Design mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Collapse group when nested layer is selected

When you have a layer within a group selected, then collapse the group and hide it, the group expands again.

I understand the thought behind this would be to always show the selected layer in an expanded hierarchy, but during my workflow it seems very counter-intuitive and different from the way I have been accustomed to expect adobe products to behave.

I would like to see this changed so when I have a layer selected within a group and I collapse the group and then hide it, the group stays collapsed with the group becoming the main selection instead of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base