Request details

Copy from XD & paste into Illustrator (or Photoshop)

For any given vector pieces, to be able to copy from XD and cut to illustrator. We can do it in the other way for now, but it would be great if it could work the other way too.

To rework an icon for example, or trick an object with more advanced tools like in illustrator. Why ? It's faster than to export to svg and export it back again. It would also allow to keep your objects scaled the same way.

574 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Winnie Abodo Alinga shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    feature-started  ·  AdminDemian Borba (Admin, Adobe) responded  · 

When Creative Cloud support lands, you would be able to save assets to your CC Library (e.g. vectors, bitmaps), and open them in different tools (e.g. vectors in Illustrator, bitmaps in Photoshop), then save it back to your Library, updating all instances where they’re being used. Would that help your use case?

83 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Thomas Hale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I notice that when pasting an item with a drop shadow from Illustrator into XD, it typically does not appear in XD (translation/drop-shadow options between the program should be streamlined.)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The SVG export is not optimal and is a waste of time. I work with companies which can not use XD for now and are asking for the files in PSD or AI. If I can not export or copy easily from XD to Photoshop or Illustrator, I will have to change my process and come back to Photoshop/Illustrator for the entire workflow. I will just use XD as a prototyping tool while it is so much more, so sad...

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THERE IS WAY!

Export as SVG > Open the SVG with Illustrator ....

Enjoy!

I created something in XD and I want to move it to Illustrator, but I can't. Please make this possible! I miss Sketch! I'm sad that I have to use Illustrator for my new job :(

• Greg Mote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, just wow. Amazing that this was not in the initial features list and still hasn't happened after all these years. Drop everything and get this stupidly simple thing done.

• Nilanjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using a sketch file on XD, it imported well. But I want to edit an icon in illustrator.. I copy pasted from XD to illustrator, it gave me a raster image. What??

How do I use library now?

The User Experience is sad

• Nilanjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using a sketch file on XD, it imported well. But I want to edit an icon in illustrator..
        How do I use library now?

The User Experience is sad

• Jenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, guys! This is a basic feature!!!!

A waste of time if one has to re-vectorize whatever one did on Adobe Xd.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this XD team? I don't want or need creative cloud - which must have taken a lot more time to implement than straight copying and pasting of vectors... Please unmute and let us know about this basic feature that people actually trying to use the software really need.

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be the same copy and paste support from XD to PS. From XD to Illustrator etc. Should be able to preform these copy and past tasks cross all the Adobe graphic applications. When I'm pasting vector objects from XD to PS it gets rasterized and I don't receive the paste dialog box where I can choose Path, Smart Object etc. The latter is standard when I Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V from Illustrator.

• Francine Rebel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Copy and paste from AI to XD works, why can't it go the other way? I was thinking that I lacked the information to do so, but after reading the comments here; im kinda disappointed in Adobe for not being able to this. Such a big time waster in my workflow..

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Demian, Any update on this please? As you can see virtually everyone wants copy and paste you Adobe have delivered CC libraries...

• Antje commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would be great if this is featured soon... it also coincides with the option to use vector graphics in the Cloud-Libraries...

This feature needs to work as copy/paste from XD to AI in order to be fast and useful.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base