Request details

Copy from XD & paste into Illustrator (or Photoshop)

For any given vector pieces, to be able to copy from XD and cut to illustrator. We can do it in the other way for now, but it would be great if it could work the other way too.

To rework an icon for example, or trick an object with more advanced tools like in illustrator. Why ? It's faster than to export to svg and export it back again. It would also allow to keep your objects scaled the same way.

626 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Winnie Abodo Alinga shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

91 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mmmmmm, just updated XD to 18.0.12.9 today

Still can't copy and paste a vector from XD to Illustrator, even though the feature seems to be 'Completed'.

Just arrives in Illustrator as a Raster. Currently running the latest release of Illustrator too.

Has the March release been helb back?

• Erick Su commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is still a problem with this feature. When I copy a paragraph into illuster it turns into a bunch of individual edible lines instead of a paragraph.

If you save the xd file as a pdf, you can drag into illustrator and release the clipping mask to have fully editable pieces.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is a real pain to not have this feature. I guess on big advantage Adobe suite can have is to have vector elements compatible between all apps.
    Ok SVG is a solution but it doesn't work really well and most of the time, it request a lot of work to get the same elements (anyway it is better than redoing it from scratch).
    Personally I will also appreciate to have it with InDesign, I'm using InDesign for spec descriptions (especially to describe all edge cases), and it is really critical to not be able to import XD vector element on InDesign.

• Thomas Hale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I notice that when pasting an item with a drop shadow from Illustrator into XD, it typically does not appear in XD (translation/drop-shadow options between the program should be streamlined.)

The SVG export is not optimal and is a waste of time. I work with companies which can not use XD for now and are asking for the files in PSD or AI. If I can not export or copy easily from XD to Photoshop or Illustrator, I will have to change my process and come back to Photoshop/Illustrator for the entire workflow. I will just use XD as a prototyping tool while it is so much more, so sad...

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THERE IS WAY!

Export as SVG > Open the SVG with Illustrator ....

Enjoy!

I created something in XD and I want to move it to Illustrator, but I can't. Please make this possible! I miss Sketch! I'm sad that I have to use Illustrator for my new job :(

• Greg Mote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, just wow. Amazing that this was not in the initial features list and still hasn't happened after all these years. Drop everything and get this stupidly simple thing done.

• Nilanjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using a sketch file on XD, it imported well. But I want to edit an icon in illustrator.. I copy pasted from XD to illustrator, it gave me a raster image. What??

How do I use library now?

The User Experience is sad

• Nilanjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using a sketch file on XD, it imported well. But I want to edit an icon in illustrator..
    How do I use library now?

The User Experience is sad

• Jenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, guys! This is a basic feature!!!!

A waste of time if one has to re-vectorize whatever one did on Adobe Xd.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base