Change image only in single repeat grid item
Would be nice to be able to change images of repeat grid items. At the moment if I drag & drop on a repeat grid item, all instances will change …
Here’s how it works currently:
- If you drag a single image onto a Repeat Grid where all grid cells show the same image, the image will change in all the grid cells.
- If you drag multiple images onto a Repeat Grid, you will set up a repeating sequence of different images. For example, if I drag in 5 images at the same time, the first 5 grid cells will show different images and then the pattern will repeat (e.g. every 5th grid cell will show the same image).
- If you drag a single image onto a Repeat Grid that already has a repeating sequence of images, you’ll replace all copies of the image you dropped onto. For example, if you had a sequence of 5 images repeated 3 times (15 total grid cells), and then you drop a single image onto one grid cell, you’ll see 3 copies of that image since you’ve essentially just replaced one image in the master 5-image sequence.
I agree sometimes it seems more intuitive to replace just the one image you dropped on, instead of all repeated copies of that image. However, other times the current behavior described above seems useful too. How would you want to control or choose between those two different options?
Also, these two requests are related (basically more advanced supersets of this) and you may be interested in upvoting them as well:
- Make a Repeat Grid cell unique, no longer syncing with any of the other cells: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/13075821-exceptions-in-repeat-grid-make-one-item-different
- Make a Repeat Grid cell partially unique, so e.g. the image breaks from the usual repeating sequence but the rectangle size and text styles still stay in sync with all the other cells: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/13050780-repeat-grid-overrides-inheritance
We need this indeed. Repeat grid without being able to replace a single instance of a symbol is just not very useful.
AdminRandy Edmunds (Admin, Adobe) commented
> Change image only in single repeat grid item
If you make the image a Symbol, then only the image in a single Repeat Grid cell is updated.
Tom Dearie commented
While the bulk-add is useful, especially in prototype production, we also need a one-off add.
In conceptual design , there's a lot of back and forth that goes on.
When we want to change one image in a long series, we don't want to have to go and select every image in the right order and reimport them all.
This is part of a common concept where different behaviours are need for different stages of the project.
Ian Armstrong commented
How does this need more information? Literally copy the way Sketch handles repeating symbols.
Pablo Sara commented
This is incredibly unintuitive. Sometimes I want to drag pictures one by one, to build my own order but it doesn't seem to be possible. Maybe I'm missing something?
really need this feature. I want to replace just one image in my repeat grid as there's a new version of the image. but i cant do this. also i need to be able to pan the image inside the grid so that the important elements of the image are seen. please provide these functionalities. thanks
Pablo Sara commented
Please add this functionallity and also being able to move a single image with a modifier so all images don't move.
Hold down shift or option as you drag and drop the image into replace only one of the images in the grid would be my suggestion. Not used for anything else currently
What if you keep it simple ;) like:
· If you have a repeat grid with 5 same images and you drag (1) one image onto it, a popup appears and asks if you want to replace all of the images or only the one you were dragging onto it. OR (2) if you drag one image over the grid, the grid changes in areas (becomes an overlay) where a text appears, like "Place here to replace all (same) images OR Place in this area to replace only this image" ----> I really like this idea. Let me know if you need a graphic that explains better!
· If you have a repeat grid and you drag multiple images onto it, it would be nice if you could select on which grid items you want to place them -> similiar to placing multiple images in InDesign.
want it. need it. please and thank you.
That's the functionality we're looking for, yes. But the only way to accomplish this currently is to ungroup the repeat grid.