Request details

Set Default Style for Text Tool

Description:
Once I select a font in TEXT panel I want this font to be default font every time I use the Text tool. Until I change it again.

Why is this valuable to you:
Now you have to change font every time when you use Text tool — bad usability. Slows down the workflow.

Additional request 1:
Also, it would be nice to set a base font size for the project. So that every time I use Text tool I'm suggested this exact size.

----
Additional request 2:
Possibility to set up default global font sizes for <p>, <h1>, <h2>, <h3> etc. And ability to scale them relatively to each other like they do it here: http://www.modularscale.com (*Editor's note:* For this request, please upvote https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/12934134-global-reusable-text-styles instead).

382 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aleksei shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    feature-under-review  ·  AdminPeter Flynn (Admin, Adobe) responded  · 

Note: there’s a limited version of this feature already available. If you select an existing piece of text and then leave it selected while you use the Text tool to create new text, its style will match the piece of text you had selected.

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has this not happened yet? UGH so tedious to change constantly.

• cjw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

P.S. I agree with Anonymous on July 27 that this should be handled as a bug. It's MVP.

• cjw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just like "Change default fill and stroke settings (color, etc.) used when drawing new shapes". How is this not totally obvious?

I love this tool, but having to configure text styles over and over and over again is a major SHOW STOPPER.

• Alice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Inherit Text Settings - This feature is not working anymore:

"If you select an existing piece of text and then leave it selected while you use the Text tool to create new text, its style will match the piece of text you had selected"

(I'm using XD version 10.0.12.9 on macOS)

• Jess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this in! even when you copy a section of text and paste it, it goes back to Segoe UI AND a different font color that I never use. The color is just off enough that I catch it most of the time, but can be missed on occasion when working quickly.

• Jurre Hengstman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the way Indesign works and handles the font-family types. Setting a font-family for the complete project is a very nice feature for XD.

• Dan Rademacher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This one aspect - inability to either set a default or find/change fonts -- seriously reduces the utility of the otherwise amazing Publish Spec. Devs looking at it wondering, "Did he mean for these random text elements to be Helvetica when everything else is Roboto? Guess so! It's in the spec!"

• Maxwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would be nice to create a mapping for HTML elements to font style (like request 2).

• Kevin Consen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get this, any time I start Adobe XD I need to change the font to bloody Open Sans from Helvetica.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must. Drives me nuts always having to set the font!

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once a choose a font family for a project, don't make me select it ever again. Please. Or even on steroids give me a place to set it globally and then if I change it globally it updates everywhere.

• Varun Gupta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A text eye dropper like illustrator would do wonders!! and yes last used font combo as default for next text block would save so much time! good to know about the creating a new block with old block selected hack!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this feature! And the ability to add <p>, <h1>, <h2>, <h3> font classes (almost like character styles in photoshop) so they can stay consistent throughout the layout.

• Aleshia Bonilla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would save a tremendous amount of time and improve consistency throughout the project to be able to 'save' a specific font / sizing / kerning / line height like you can a HEX color if it is frequently used in the project. Preferably the user could:

1) set the default font specs,
        2) save and title your top font specs so they are easily accessible at all times, either at the top of the selection list or displayed via right click on the text, or maybe even as their ownoptions in the TEXT panel.

I typically use 2-3 font configurations in a design with only minor modifications, but right now everything defaults to Segoe UI at 20, so I'm constantly having to reset the font or copy other text.

Default: Lato 20 Regular 0 Kerning 25 Line Height

'H1-Oswald': Oswald 30 Bold -20 Kerning 35 Line Height
        'H1-Oswald-Mobile': Oswald 15 Bold -10 Kerning 18 Line Height

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really shouldn't be listed as a "Feature Request" It should be handled as a bug.

There is no use case I can think of where a user would want the font to switch back to Helvetica Neue every time they create a new text element.

Clearly this is an oversight in the UI development. And as a "Feature Request" with far less votes than other significantly more complicated requests, it's likely to never get fixed.

Can this be moved to Bugs?

• Hayden Hancock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to change the default type for a project. For example, I would like to change the default type to "Roboto." When using the text tool, I shouldn't have to change the type every single time.

Optionally, provide a formatting option like Illustrator where I can use the Eye dropper tool to copy the formatting of another element.

• Rob Claisse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everytime I create a new text object I have to change the font family, size and weight to what I want and everytime I create the next one the default is back at Helvetica Neue, 20px, Regular.

As per Photoshop and every other text handling app, I'd expect the font to use the previous settings when I create the next text object.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base