Reusable symbols / master objects
It would be very helpful to have symbols in order to have reusable elements that can be updated in one place and have those edits instantly take effect in all instances/artboards in the design.
I’m happy to say you can now use symbols in the November release of Adobe XD!
Thanks to everyone who voted on this — it honestly does make a difference in making this happen sooner.
There are lots of ways we could expand on this initial set of symbol features. Please let us know your opinion by upvoting follow-up suggestions like these:
- Different text, color, or other properties in some copies of the symbol (like editing text in a Repeat Grid, for example): https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/13675224-override-text-color-etc-on-a-symbol
- Different size for some copies of the symbol: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/16939339-scale-resize-symbols-individually
- Interactions/wires on objects inside symbols: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/16943800-allow-interaction-wires-links-from-objects-inside
- States the symbol can switch between (like a UI component): https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/13031871-add-multiple-states-inside-symbols
- Reorganize your list of symbols: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/16933993-label-and-reorganise-symbol-library
- Share symbols across documents or within a team (via CC Libraries, for example): https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/12930321-cc-library-support-share-symbols-assets
And as always, feel free to file new suggestions if you have other ideas that aren’t posted in UserVoice yet!
Ability to name an object in a flow of screens (example header_logo). This header logo is the same logo in 20 screens, but suddenly we want to change the logo to a new one. Ability to swap the logo easily in all 20 instances.
Would be great to be able to add UI objects easier (google material design set, icon fonts, etc) Be able to assign a set of icons to a specific style.. and then change them globally as a vector, not as a font. Or just create a new one and save it in a library
Louise Spanget commented
Yes very important, I also use Smart Objects in PhotoShop today for app navigation bars etc. Sometimes I need to move "all search icons 10 px to the left" and it would be nice not to have to do it manually on 10 interfaces.
Erin Standley commented
Dynamic symbols (as in Illustrator) and nested symbols are need-to-have features for my workflow ^_^
ron bird commented
Agreed. I do this is Excel (wireframeing and sreenflow diagrams), I use one sheet to carry all the text. ie one column all the English, another the Spanish, French etc. Then i link the cell to the appropriate diagram on the build sheet. If the text changes in the wordingfile sheet it will auto update through out the appropriate features on the wireframe. Its magic. You can do it with icons too(limited flexability). Put that feature in please Adobe.
This seems to be a duplicate. My bad for duplicating another request
An example would be a back arrow on an application. You always want it to go back to the previous artboard. Building in functionality to do this would really cut down on the repetitious linking of artboards.
Symbols like in Illustrator would be a gigantic time saver indeed.
Robert Turnage commented
Yes, this would make using menu, headers, footers, sidebars, etc so much easier across a wireframe/prototype.
Alex Aranda commented
I agree having a symbols that are reusable and that can be updated would be a big time saver
Dee Sadler commented
The ability to add templates that are wireframes. Either a common library, or a symbols library, not just the Adobe libraries. To be UX, to me I need more UX items.
Design Review mode
Ability to attach link to research and persona work
More communication with the team and stakeholders beyond an export.