Request details

Override styles in a symbol (allow symbol differences)

Right now, you can override text and bitmaps in a symbol. I'd like to be able to override appearance properties like opacity, fill color, borders, shadows, and font style.

380 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminElaine (Adobe) (Admin, Adobe) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Clint commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes... this feature is absolutely necessary. After several years in Sketch, this is the one essential missing feature I need to make the move.

• Turnwall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for looking into how Sketch and Figma allow overrides of symbols, specifically overriding text.

Two additional ideas / requests:

(1) It would also be really amazing to also override simple dimensions:

Use case: if you have dynamic-width buttons (which XD allows for with the new "Responsive Resize" features), it would be nice to create a symbol that allows you to set the colors / fill / stroke / inner text and icon placement for button styles—but in each instance, allow you to change the text and then resize the button to fit just to the size that the text "fills".

(2) Then, be able to push "style" and "text" updates/overrides separately:
        If we want to use the dynamic sizing specified above, then we need to push style updates to all symbol instances, without alos overriding the custom text and dimension styling we've done.

Different versions of this are available in both Sketch and Figma with text overrides. Dimension overrides would be a big win for XD.

• JGP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the most productive features of Figma, and now I'm back on XD it is strikingly absent.

The lack of this is killing my productivity.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just gave XD a first try and within 15 minutes ran into this issue. Seems like quite an basic yet essential feature to prevent having a million slightly different symbols.

• Gabriel Mittleman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gave XD a second try now that my Principle license needed updating, and Sketch is becoming increasingly bloated. Very impressed with the work that has been done so far, but this needs to be fixed before i can make the switch. Creating repeat grids with symbols that I could individually override would be amazing.

• Darcy Bross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Overriding dimensions too would be amazing... Or choosing which things may be overridden. For an example, form inputs of different lengths.

• Maureen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing Vlad. Sketch enables versatile and powerful overrides. The symbols concept isn't worthwhile if you need to create multiple versions of the same symbol to have version of size, color, etc.

• Vlad Malik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to override any aspect of a symbol and then see the list of overrides and cancel them if needed (e.g., undo symbol mask position override).

+1 for master-symbols with sub-symbols
        +1 for taking a look at figmas components function

• Gon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is still light years away from Sketch, when it comes to symbol management and overriding.

I was forced to make the transition from Sketch to Adobe XD and I'm struggling because my workflow slowed down to a third...

Please invest in the symbols department. It's a matter of productivity

Years after the release, i just gave XD a second chance and found it ridiculous how under developed this software is.
        Please stop advertising auto animate (Principle does this since years ago) and voice prototyping and fix these very basic design tools.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we have the option to create a sub-symbol out of a master symbol.

e.g. I have a master button which is size X, Colored white, with a blue background.

1. I should have the option to do local overrides without ungrouping it from the master, so when I change the instance to a green background, the size and color are still linked to the master, or if I change the size, the color and background are still tied to the master etc.

2. Use this overridden symbol as a sub-symbol, so when I copy/paste this instance and I change again its background to red, the instances of this sub-symbol should be changes as well.

I agree. I would absolutely switch to XD if it would have a proper override symbol option like in Sketch app.
        e.g state of a button

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base