Request details

Version Control - store history/timeline of revisions

It would be nice if there was a way to have multiple versions of a design living in one document. Right now we'll have a v1 wireframe and will be reviewing features for v2. I typically lock that version and then create a new file called v2 and start making changes. Would be nice if they could be linked somehow verses multiple file versions.

842 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Derek Heisler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

69 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Martin Klausen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to @myriams ideas! I seem to make duplicate artboards when iterating designs and wireframes. Would be great to somehow switch between version on the artboard level. Also great idea from @myriam to being able to choose version to navigate in i prototype mode.

• Hafez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please keep Save As instead of creating a Duplicate. Perhaps provide an additional option of "Version" and then the user can decide how they best want to use the application to fit their needs or how their company may set up the file system.

• Andrea DV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

integration with VSTS / TFS so that the requirements could be traced from the visual wireframe to the TFS requirements. Seems like TFS has depreciated it's visual story boarding process (in 2018), so perfect time in the market to provide a prototype designer

• Matthijs Mali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this going to incorporate things like pull requests? I was about to make a new feature request and then found this.

What I would love to see is an option to allow pull requests. A proper workflow to gradually work in improving an app. Functionalities like merging changes would be so good.

So is this versioning system going to be alike to the Git flow? With branching and such?

• Massimo Aristide commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not only about keeping code and design together. It is also about version control. It would be cool to have the possibility to compare visually to versions in checked-in in git, or having the possibility to review how a prototype evolved over time.

• Thomas Hallgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Demain. This feature will be amazing when it becomes available. Looking forward to it. It will usher in the dream of designers 25-30 years ago ...unprecedented anywhere collaboration.

• Reony Tonneyck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So happy this is being worked on right now. I love how Figma executes it, but I know Adobe will do an even better job.

A "Track Changes" mode like in MS Word, would be helpful if the changes were shown in the app, and in shared prototypes. Ideally, Track Changes would be turned on/off to highlight minor changes made within sprints for QA/Dev. (Design Mode, Prototype Mode, Sharing on the Web.)

After the prototype is refined and goes into development, very minor changes are often made within the sprint. If there were a way "Track Changes" like (for lack of a better example) in MS Word, that would be useful. This would be beneficial to for design work groups as well as displaying changes to QA/Dev in online prototypes, so they can easily find updates within sprints.

• Ivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Demian, the timeline feature is an excellent tool to have live on the pasteboard, but first lets allow stylus control to Windows10. This missing part of my workflow is killing my speed.

As a QA or Dev team, I would like to easily find pages with changes, and changes on those pages (via highlight), compared to a specific previous shared version of the prototype. Helps QA and Dev team to find and apply otherwise missed text and design updates.

• Myriam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following the comments over, YES, clearly yes branching is a fundamental todo for XD. I think you do not need to have the whole Git process as it can makes some designers flee away :)
        But, what I would suggest 2 things to make it smooth and easy to approve :
        1/ on the artboard : "creates a version" of the current screen with a simple right click on it's name. Then it adds a sort of screen ghost and the name has a mini clickable icon to switch from one version to the other.
        Then you simply has to associate future other screen versions to the first version you created.
        2/ on Prototype part : adds a dropdown to choose which version you want to navigate in
        3/ on sharing part ( the most important in working with devs ) : just add a dropdown on top of visionning to let developpers choosing the version they are on.

That's not so complicated as 99% of us are just looking for the 2-3 version : The next version to develop, the one we want to reach at the end and the alternative one to talk with the product/business line.

• Jakob Freitag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be wonderful if the designers could put their work in git repositories close to the development and if you could use prototypes directly in backlogs or work items.

Would be wonderful if prototypes in the project would be browsable. Maybe in a separate dashboard or something.

Closer integration in VSTS / TFS
        Closer Integration in Git / TFVS

br / jakob

Feedback and Knowledge Base