Request details

Use webfonts without manually installing font locally

I would like to use icon libraries (web fonts) without to install them as fonts in my system. For that it would be great to have the option to use all icons of a downloaded "woff-file" i.e. from the following sites and embed them into the xd project:

materialdesignicons.com
flaticon.com
Google Web Fonts
FontAwesome

117 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ESPECIALLY Google Web Fonts! I would really, really like to see this happen. Adobe Fonts is a good start, but I strictly use google web fonts in my builds and need to be able to send the client a pretty good example of what they're going to see.

• Mike B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hey,

just import a font-library like fontawesome and u have everything u need,

in your css or sass or less just @import the desired font-library and use as you would do as for any other font:

eg. in your css, less or sass source:

@import url('https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto');
    </style>

and then

in your css, less or sass source:

body{
    font-family: 'Roboto', sans-serif;
    }

cheeers
    mike

• Michal Mechacek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely yes, we want it. Our work is still blocked by licence for web vs desktop ... if our clients want use fonts only on their websites we still needs download desktop type fonts (which are in most under some licence)
    I can recommend add some possibility use webfonts with @import() or direct upload .woff font files into XD designs. https://www.fontsquirrel.com/ has sometimes problems to generate .ttf s from .woff.

• Mehdi Bouhalassa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please do.
    At the same time, it's NEVER gonna happen, because Adobe Typekit.
    And this is why we can't have nice things.

• Gina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was kind of flabbergasted that this isn't a thing that I could already do; it would save me a ton of time to be able to pull from Typekit and Google Fonts!

• Mike B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'm really wondering how this can be practical if the desired fonts must be installed to the viewers system.
    and why typekit is not usable inside the adobe-family-tools. someone missed something... :)
    it's a must have!

• Matza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the google fonts are not so important. I can install them (all?) on my system via SkyFonts. But it's hard if you have some WOFF or EOF-files which are special developed for the web/screen and there is no OpenType or TrueType available. How can I show my client how the website really look like?! Ok every browser will show the font different, but it's better than to use Arial!
    I was wondering that I didn't found anything how to use WOFF or EOF in Adobe XD or Sketch … I think this would be a great feature!!!

• Eduardo Sully commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will DEFINITELY bring adobe xd to a new level and will greatly streamline our work by building the interfaces. This has to happen.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This definitely NEEDS to happen. At the moment, there isn't a great solution for the gap between web and installed fonts. We're building interfaces FOR THE WEB on this program. We should not have to search for "[Insert font here] webfont alternative" every time we're trying to pick through a great type set for the site.

Thanks!

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would also be great if I could use "web only" fonts from typekit in XD. otherwise it's kind of difficult to create a webdesign :-/

• Daniel Mee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strange this hasn't had so many votes. Seems like a great feature and yes, as Austin says, just start with Typekit and Google fonts at least. Would be great to just add the CSS import statement as a minimum:
    @import url(https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto);
    But then have a cloud fonts UI so you can just search roboto and use it without having to "install" it first.

• Austin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know the type features are rather young at this point in development, but eventually I think it would be nice to be able to directly include Google web fonts. Working on any interface design, especially web designs, using a font CDN like Google web fonts, or even something like FontAwesome, is invaluable. Having the fonts loaded manually, separately, feels so disconnected from the actual development process that, unless you're using a custom or system font, it doesn't seem to make sense to design that way.

I realize that this may take some discussion with each respective company, in order to incorporate their systems commercially, but even starting with Adobe Typekit implementation would be awesome. Simply having some ability to use web fonts without having to download and clutter our font libraries would be extremely beneficial.

Feedback and Knowledge Base