Request details

Import HTML (from URL) as editable static content in XD

I would like to import HTML or SWF files as content in XD.

Best Kenneth

85 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
AdminPeter Flynn (Software Engineer, Adobe) responded  · 

Kenneth, would you mind breaking out SWF import as a separate feature request? That way people can gauge whether people want both or which one is higher priority. I’ll remove SWF from the title here so it’s focused specifically on HTML import.

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Panagiotis Sarafis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, importing directly from HTML would be great and would easily facilitate the transition fro other platforms to XD

• Vincent Spallek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It definitely is related. If importing HTML, JS and CSS, three aspects might be important:
    - Support build automation: being able to hand over a list of components that consistently gets (re‑)imported, instead of having to select them manually in the UI
    - Retaining the component hierarchy (component A is composed of component B and C)
    - Understanding properties: A button's label can be edited or its icon or width, but not its colors or height

• Justin Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have recently become product owner of my company's client-facing intranet. Our developers prefer XD-like prototypes over static Photoshop mockups more complex efforts. Since our intranet already exists, it would be a HUGE productivity enhancement to be able to import an existing HTML document with CSS instead of having to recreate it in the Design mode. Why recreate the wheel (or page)?

• Vincent Spallek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to automatically (re-)generate an XD UI kit from my existing Web UI component library so that the components the designers use are always in sync with what the developers use to implement the solution.
    This includes the possibility to update existing symbols in my XD files if they have changed in my web component library.
    There are numerous solutions that generate a documentation from existing UI components, couldn't this approach be extended to also generate XD symbols?

• Jean-Michel Demers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to important an HTML in Adobe XD to kick start working on an existing online project. Will save time a lot. It's a must I belive.

• Olivier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wouldn't that be a feature for Adobe Dreamweaver?:

Have a tight integration between Adobe Xd (creating design content) and Adobe Dreamweaver (writing code).

• Pascal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In order to add XD to an existing project an import sites from url function would be very useful.
    If frameworks like Angular/ AngularJS/ ReactJS would be supported, it would be even more useful

• Steve Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I as well would like to be able to take our current website and place the html into Xd and modify and tweek so I can see differences in changes. Dreamweaver is nice on a page by page basis but does not allow me to map out the navigation within a website. That would be a great way to insure best user experience for website visitors.

• User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to import html/css file(s) and have it editable. So when I already worked on a website, that I can have an easy look on how little changes would look.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes Peter, that would be fine with me breaking out SWF import as a separate feature request.
    Best Kenneth

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enable creating a new Xd file from a url, like an editable screenshot of an existing webpage, would be useful to modify an existing html page.

Feedback and Knowledge Base