Request details

Copy-Paste should preserve interaction wires/links

Ability to copy wires along with assets. For example, if I have a home button that will always link to the same page, it would be helpful if I didn't have to wire the button each time. This would also be helpful when duplicating artboards so the links stay intact. For example, if I need to show a dropdown menu, I would do this by duplicating the artboard and adding a wire to the dropdown menu. In this case, I would want all the existing wires to stay the same.

265 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can now paste wires with the objects in the May 2017 release of Adobe XD! Simply switch to prototype mode, and the objects will paste with their wires. You can copy and paste artboards with the wires between them intact, even to other files.

To check out the latest version, go to the Creative Cloud desktop app! If you don’t see the update, you can select the gear and click on “Check for App Updates.”

-Elaine

77 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not complete. I've had all sorts of problems with this. Links breaking in presentations, copying wrecking other links. Push overrides confusing etc One example is that If I have a website or app navigation with a whole set of link in it, duplicating the symbol should just pull all those links through and put them in place.

• Maleh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apparently if you go to Edit > Duplicate it works. I was struggling with the same all morning.

• Mack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In protoype mode, (Mac,) the copy/paste function does not convey the wired-up interactions. Could we get a response, Adobe, on why this essential wire copy/paste function apparently disappeared in newer XD versions and when it will be restored? I'm prototyping a case planning-type app for a client who needs something like 120 screens (artboards.) The navigation scheme is complex. I wired up each of more than 70 nav links in a "master nav menu" artboard. I intended to copy and paste the master nav menu from the wired artboard in each of the various screens so consistent navigation is present throughout the app. Without the copy/paste wire ability we're looking at more than 8000 wires that would need creation. If I can't get this feature soon, I'm gone. Thanks in advance for expediting this.

• Atin Garg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature will work when you copy-paste the elements when you are in Prototype mode and not in Design mode.

• Nic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After May 2018 update this is no longer working properly with groups.

• Øivind commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, so it works, but only on one object at a time …
    So I should be carefull to update to the latest update of XD in the future. Noted and disapointed.

• Øivind commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Help! WHen pasting in prototype mode the link disapears.
    This makes Adobe XD totally useless!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fix it please... Alt-drag doesn't work if I want to paste an object in the same position

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Previously worked, now appears to be broken. Alt-drag works, but copy-paste (at least with a group of objects) does not.

• Lara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with Don Whelan... Since the Update May 2018, this feature doesn't work properly. Before, I could copy as much elements as i want with their links. Now only one element a time is possible.

• Don Whelan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This function appears to be broken in the May 2018 release. Links/wires are no longer preserved when copy/pasting in Prototype mode.

• Jason Quiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with many of the others. It is odd to have the links only copy over when in prototype mode.

Honestly, I had no clue that the feature worked this way. All I knew is that sometimes when I copy/pasted elements and boards they retained their links and other times none of the links carried over.

I get that there will be times you dont want to copy over links (e.g an icon linking to the previous page), so having a way to copy/paste elements without copying the links is nice. But honestly I would rather it defaulted to always copying the links even in design mode.

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with comments here on the UX(!) of having to copy and past in prototype mode to preserve links. You are performing a design function to duplicate an artboard or links within an artboard. It just doesn't make sense to have to think to do this in prototype mode in order to preserve links.

Seems like the current implementation of preserving links is a quick fix, is this flagged up to be worked on and improved.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Alex—it does not feel intuitive to have to switch to Prototype mode to copy/paste objects to retain the connections. The same behavior should apply to Design mode.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base