Request details

2,347 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

jsprlprd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As you’ve probably noticed, we’ve delivered Layout Grids in the November release of XD. We’d love specific feedback on Layout Grids as we continue to grow, so I’m closing this feature request. If you have specific additional functionality you’d like to see in the Layout Grid feature, please do file it as a new feature request in the Design feature area!

Thanks,

-Elaine

309 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mitch Lenzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, time to pause Windows 10 design track and get back to Mac features, especially layout view. This feature alone would make the choice between Sketch and Xd a much easier decision.

• David Diomede commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep looking for a grid, you have it available in InDesign, Illustrator, and photoshop, why not XD?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guides, shure. But the layout-thingamabob Sketch has going on, is the beez neez.

• M'Jade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

XD Team, Why not make our design process easier and generate a bootstrap grid system with every new artboard, I mean when I create a new artboard I'd like to have an auto generated grid that fits my artboard size, I thinks this feature will help us a lot.

• Zach Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Checking in on the status of this. Last response from Tom is coming up on a year. This is one of the most debilitating omissions from an otherwise great UX Design application!

• Eric Thayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have never used a grid overlay and don't think you need one for static designs. You really don't need one in your code base either. CSS Grid and Flexbox have you covered there.

This should be priority number one. Why is it still in the backlog?

If grid layouts become available it would be nice to have grid templates for popular responsive frameworks like bootstrap etc.

• Christopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basically I can't and won't touch the program until there are guides. Really excited about it, its just not a good use of my time to learn the software... yet.

Still in the backlog, this is the most requested feature and its being ignored. Listen to your users Adobe, this is a deal breaker for most. You'll loose everyone to Sketch.

• Craig Shields commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First off, love everything about XD. Excited for what's in the pipeline.

Need, need, need this feature though. It's almost a step backwards for app / web / UI design when there is no function for setting up grids and guides for elements to align and snap to.

ESSENTIAL FEATURE.

• Unknown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just re-iterating how essential this is, as essentially XD is a layout tool. InDesign has a lot of this nailed and in my opinion offers a designer far more dexterity than the tools offered by, say, Sketch. It does this through a combination of tools which each offer a different level of granularity but all work together to provide an overall level of control.

The combination of:

1) a fine-grained document grid with the ability to set the number of subdivisions at the lowest level.
    2) rulers, specifically the ability to set a 'zero-point' on the x and y axis (achieved by dragging from the top-left corner between the rulers in PS, ID, etc.) which is then heeded by the document grid. This is essential, as without it the document grid is useless unless your margins happen to match your document grid.
    3) Baseline grid at the mid-level. (non-essential, but surely will be useful)
    4) Guides, for the creation of a layout grid (columns, rows and gutters) at the macro level.

The ability to choose whether you want to snap to the document grid, baseline or guides independently are also very useful and much appreciated.

• Placey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please - Getting to a sticking point now between designer and developer - Can't easily represent actual pixels to perfection safe in the knowledge we're gridded up ;)

• Calin Balea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely essential. Please release it ASAP for windows. Would be nice to have some predefined options for boostrap 3, boostrap 4 and foundation and option to create from scratch. Also be sure to include the option to create a grid over any element. For example, if i'm designing a dashboard where i have a vertical navigation on the left, the grid would be offset.
    Take a look at how Figma handles grids. I think it's the best on the market so far.

Feedback and Knowledge Base