Request details

Version Control - store history/timeline of revisions

It would be nice if there was a way to have multiple versions of a design living in one document. Right now we'll have a v1 wireframe and will be reviewing features for v2. I typically lock that version and then create a new file called v2 and start making changes. Would be nice if they could be linked somehow verses multiple file versions.

848 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Derek Heisler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

69 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is much needed one. Please consider this and the must-have features like rulers and this version control

• Martin Klausen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to ScottCs comment. Fell in love with the concept shown at adobe Max a few years ago but realizing now it’s too limiting. Need more documentation to what has been done, when and by whom. A concept for branches is probably needed to in order to be used by a team (unless that’s solved in a smart way with live collaboration).

Tricky one for sure 😊but very excited to see the solution and being able to convert people from the Abstract app.

• Kai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Demian, when do you think the feature will be available in XD? :)

(as my request "Git friendly linked symbols" has been merged with this)

I was not asking version control. My request was about flexibility of workflow with linked symbols. For example, Photoshop looks for four locations to find a source file and keeping relative path is enough to keep objects to be linked.

Could you undo the merge as I believe my request had got some votes.
    Thanks!

I really liked the linked symbols as an MVP! As one of the next steps, what I'd like to see is a better support for a Git based workflow such as,

- manage all xd documents with Git including a single source of truth
    - when checked out, all linked symbols are automatically linked to their originals

When I tried links were broken and had to be fixed manually. My feeling is using Git (or other version control system) is not rare among XD users, and many people will benefit from this enhancement.

• PramUkesh N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This video Published on Nov 4, 2016 still work is not done yet what a professional developers yarr!

• Zachary Newton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the enterprise world, I need to have version control for my prototyped links so when I make a change to the design and update the link, developers can take that link and look back in time to see the previous states that the link was in.

It would also be great if when looking back, XD could give them a high-level idea of what pages and/or what on the pages have changed or are different.

• Scott C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Demian
    Saw the video Feature looks promising. Below are some things that need to be clarified:
    A major part of the version control has to be identified users who made the edits and when (date/time specific), not just for my personal reference. It's a critical Enterprise Level function. The SW team is really skittish about using XD because I (or anyone with access to the Adobe CC, XD file) can just save a new version then the work they've been doing on the previous requirements they were developing towards are now changed and it causes major timeline issues and confusion. Their sprint's work needs to be locked down.

Speaking of confusion: time can be confusing. I work in the states, a good portion of the devs work over seas. If I make a change at time it needs to be shown relative to local time zone of the machine looking at it. EG: I make a change at 12:00PM time here (for example EST) they need to see it translated to their local time 5:00PM (for example GMT) there.

Finally this needs to be a part of the Design Spec View. Most of the Devs don't have access to the Adobe XD software/CC suite. They only see the url I share with them for the design specs so they view it on a web browser not in XD. Scrolling timeline shown in the video seems nice, however within the views of each art-board needs to be a jump to time/url referenced time. So that it's easily referenced. I need to be able to say to the devs "This week design to spec set at 12:00 PM on 2018/09/19". That way these people who don't necessarily speak English or understand western colloquialisms know exactly what is expected of them.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base