Request details

Custom Background Fill (pattern, solid color, gradient)

49 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom Krcha shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Benjamin Rancourt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upvoting for background pattern fill, this would make the selection of fill methods complete - the repeat grid workaround is acceptable but not very convenient.

• mathias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I use the Repeat Grid "workaround", every instance of the bitmap image gets exported when I "Share for Development". I just generated a share link that had 300+ copies of the same background image tile.

How undercooked Adobe XD is continues to amaze me.
    Maybe in 3 MORE years we can get a bitmap pattern fill implementation! Oh joy!

• Vnz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As solid and gradient fill are now implemented, I upvote the background fill.
    Please make this, using the same attributes as css : repeat-x, repeat-y, center, ...

• Cam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Randy I'm using the Repeat Grid workaround for now and whilst it's easier and more fluid to work with than other Adobe apps it kills my machine because my pattern is quite fine due to there being hundreds of instances (see screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/8CZKTw5).

• AdminRandy Edmunds (Software Engineer, Adobe) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FYI, gradients are already supported Fills. Use dropdown at top of color picker to change from "Solid Color" to "Linear Gradient" or "Radial Gradient".

Yes, we'd like to make patterns easier. For now, you can create pattern using a Repeat Grid and then mask it using a Masked Object.

• Maleika Attawel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something other tools that are like XD have; and that's the ability to easily add a background to a layer other than a solid color or a photo.

The functionality I am describing is that of what already exists in Photoshop.

- the ability to overlay a pattern
    - the ability to overlay a solid color
    - the ability to overlay a gradient

This is particularly useful when working for the web where we have all kinds of canvas sizes and having to constantly redo the background manually can be a cumbersome task.

Feedback and Knowledge Base