Request details

Button tool - styled text box with padding, auto resizes when text changes

To speed workflow it would be good to have button tool in the sidebar. In the property inspector you'd have the ability to specify the top,bottom, left and right padding. the width of button would dynamically resize as you type the button's label.

212 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

pamjampamjam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Robert CălinRobert Călin shared a merged idea: Elements that can be set to behave in a certain way  ·   · 
    julianmorenojulianmoreno shared a merged idea: Dynamic Button - styled box auto resizes to fit text with padding  ·   · 
    SarahSarah shared a merged idea: Type within a shape  ·   · 
    StevoStevo shared a merged idea: Button expands as I input more text within  ·   · 

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David KnellDavid Knell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a text element has padding, background color, and border radius attributes, then there's your button! Excellent! You guys are really good at making interactions intuitive. Please continue that level of quality for this feature. It could easily be an awkward interaction because there are two places you can edit a text object: in the main window by dragging-and-dropping and in the inspector pane. Pressing Ctrl, Cmd, or Option and then dragging the borders of a text element may be an intuitive way to create/change the object's padding. Anyway, I trust you guys. :)

• Robert CălinRobert Călin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Example:
        - you have a button
        - it has a background or border or shadow
        - it has a text or icon inside
        - when changing the text or icon, the container should adapt to the content, it should maintain the padding

• MitsukiMitsuki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

or I'd like to add background color, padding, border color on text object....

• VadimVadim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! I agree, this is very important feature which can save a ton of time.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we could add text to a box it would function the same as this request. This would save a lot of time.

• Ben FranckBen Franck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, this will lower the amount of objects the software (and users) have to handle. And it saves time.
        Buttons, content panels, slack-like profile bubbles with initials, etc...

Really useful.

• steve petoniaksteve petoniak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm currently building out a UI kit for enterprise and this would be so useful not only for buttons, but for content sections. instead of having to reference my docs every-time I change a button's text, it could automatically change it for me. +1 please make this adobe <3

• Aleksandr LavrAleksandr Lavr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sketch plugin is ok, but in InDesign this feature is handier: generic text object works the same, but has an auto-resize settings, so you wouldn't need an additional hotkeys.

• HGHG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! The dynamic button plugin for sketch is one of my most used plugins. In PS and Illustrator it's always a hassle

• PepijnPepijn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having worked with Axure a lot I'd definitely love the possibility of at least drawing a shape, being able to type text into it and adjusting its position both horizontally and vertically. I don't even use the HTML button in Axure but rather create my own buttons with their shape tool. Not sure wether something similar is possible in Xd but it would be very nice :).

• SarahSarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is more of an Axure feature than a Photoshop/Illustrator one, but it's vital to quick wireframes/prototypes. Being able to draw a rectangle then type within it (along with setting margins, type alignment, corner radius, etc.) makes drawing buttons, section headers, and basically everything much faster. Definitely necessary if you want to be faster than Axure at wireframing.

• StevoStevo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thinking alongside the repeat grid, I want to make buttons more easily without the hassle of manually pushing pixels to have the same padding for length of words.

Feedback and Knowledge Base