Request details

Collaboration on same document (real-time OR check-in / check-out model)

I would love to be able to work with my design team at the same time on the same file on different computers and instantly see changes made by someone else in realtime.
Currently, we use Google Drawings to create wireframes because it allows us all to work in the same file at the same time and to instantly see changes made.

synchronous collaboration
Google Docs

422 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Allers shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dominic Barnard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would very much like to see real-time collaboration, version control and as a document owner to define edit permissions for those I share any document with. My team of designers are co-located and managing a single design system is not bullet-proof right now.

• Marcelo Nogueira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know the Figma is doing this. They call it "Multiplayer editing" - (Edit alongside your coworkers and see exactly what they are doing inside the file. Access controls let you decide when to enable multiplayer and when to fly solo) See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ZN1mI2rZg. It is amazing. Please, start this feature soon. Real-time collaboration is very important for every tasks for teams.

• Eriol Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would find this really useful. Not even as detailed as what elements/components people are moving around real time but even what canvas board they have selected or a list of who's in the file at any given time.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get an update on this? It's been showcased a few different times so we know it's in progress at least :/

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using Figma presently even though I also have XD. Figma seems to have much tighter interaction with its user community and a more alive feel. Seems nobody from Adobe is interacting with the messages here. If you need a consultant to design this feature? Email me. I'm available and have experience in this field.

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've both read articles and seen videos where Adobe is talking warmly about the value of team collaboration with XD, think I first heard Adobe mention this three years ago in terms of XD, but still we are not able to really collaborate on anything as that is down right risky business cause you risk loosing all your work! There are no synchronized collaboration support like you have in for instance Figma. Whenever two people are working on a shared XD files at the same time one of the files open are going to be overwritten by the edits made by the other designer AND one of the designers is going to get his or her contribution deleted! I've experienced this over and over again until I asked everyone in my team to stop using XD for any collaboration as we are loosing data. It is just way too risky. The point in live collaboration is that you can be safe with the individual contributions and that it doesn't get overwritten by another contributor working at the same document at the same time! Hello Adobe? What are you think? Why do you release such an unfinished feature when you KNOW that people collaborating live is going to get data loss?! You must remove that until its safe to use with full support for live collaboration.

• Maya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ZZZ its 2019 and still no collaboration? We are moving to Figma 😤

• Bert de Weerd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please get some status update of this feature? A lot of features are implemented since, all nice, but still useless if you can't work together as a team... The concept as shown in 2016 looks promessing, I would love to use that functionality with my team, but it's been silent for 3 years now...

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't get this. We are well into 2019 and shared collaboration in CC is a mess. I only sparely receive a prompt within XD asking me to accept the changes made by the collaborator that I invited. But collaboration ends when the document is closed, then I need to repeat the invitation process. It's messy. And why do I have to re-save via file-save as in order to continuous CC saving? It's already saved to files in CC! And why does XD add "Copy of" infront of the same file when I re-save it? I have already saved the file to the cloud service, and I have already preformed the invitation routine AND that has been accepted by the collaborator.

If the sharing concept doesn't support LIVE collaboration then what is the criteria for me or the invited collaborator receiving changes to the shared file? Does it happen only for the owner of the collaboration? Does it only happen each time I re-open the document? Do I have to close and re-open repeatedly in order to receive the changes made by the collaborator? I don't get it. And why doesn't XD keep the collaboration when the file is closed? The invited person is gone from the list of collaborators and only me (owner) is left. This is extremely frustrating. To put it short: What are you trying to achieve here?! I don't get it.

• Toby Black commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You gave us the keys to your Porsche but it still has a VW motor in it.
    Can you please get your best mechanics on it ASAP so this thing drives properly!

• Glen Lipka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was willing to switch to XD if this feature worked. But it's been too long. I've since focused my energies on Figma instead. It's a deal-breaker to me. Im not even willing to consider XD regardless of feature set without this.

• test commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You promised this feature 4 years ago. We urgently need it. Can't collaborate on the same XD document in real time is a pain. We have around 10 Designers working on the same design guideline for a project and change that over time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe - you have been selling XD but not delivering on promised functionality. Any update on the timeline for delivery would be great. Design teams want this to succeed, but the lure of Sketch, Figma and now Invision Studio is constantly on the agenda.

• Zoshua Marbin Colah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE. WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG?

I LOVE THE PRODUCT BUT NEED TO WORK WITH A TEAM SO I NEED COLLABORATION

• Jim Doria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 & 1/2 years on and still waiting for this?

XD has some great features. Figma has been giving me headaches and can't match XD on features. I'd love to transition our team to XD but without real-time collab, it's never going to fly.

Real-time co-working is table stakes in any team-based design app at this point.

Guess I'll have to add XD to my list of "maybe someday" solutions (alongside InVision Studio...)

• Charles Diggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love this feature. Every now and then I jump over to Figma for this functionality. Let's DO THIS Adobe.

POWER XD USER!!!!!

• Nicola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please work on this feature, it is essential for any team project. XD is great, but this is a critical part, any team environment will be hard to move to XD without this.

• Darryl Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanting to add my voice to this. My design team looked into using this for our current project but found the lack of real-time collaboration a major blocker.
    Looks like we'll have to stick with Figma.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base