Allow Adobe XD to have third party plugins/extensions
I’m happy to share that you can now create and use plugins in Adobe XD.
Please take a look here to learn more: https://adobexdplatform.com/
Thank you so much for your feedback!
I guess timeline based animations are just a matter of time now ^^
I can't switch from sketch to adobe xd because I need a versioning tool like Plant.
YES it's badly needed!!!
Daniel O'Neil commented
If more info is still needed, the idea is for Adobe XD to create an extension API to allow third-party developers to create XD plug-ins. This will help extend the app's core functionality and get key enhancements to the user base quickly and efficiently. It's one of the huge reasons for Sketch's success and versatility. Here's the Sketch page about it: https://developer.sketchapp.com
Is there a way to take over ownership of feature requests? I would love to expand on this.
I do not see how Adobe can not see the value in this feature, what have they got to lose by allowing 3rd parties to develop and improve on XD? Currently Adobe has over 1500 feature requests yet the ability to only address 2-3 each update. Simply put, allowing 3rd party developers to create plugins that address many of the issues that users have with XD will only improve the product thus bringing XD on par with their competitors.
Sb Shahria commented
Dear XD, If you need to beat Sketch then you chould allow the third party plugins / extensions. Sketch still 100 times better than XD because of his huge plugins library.its really helpful.Why you guys don;t make it ?
I totally agree with this issue of plugins, at this moment I'm about to finish a case study in which I want to integrate some screens with an isometric view to a template that I made, but there are too many screens and the process of adapting them I have to do it manually . In Sketch there is a plugin that besides other functions serves specifically for what I want to do, it's called "Magic Mirror" and I can't use Sketch for this project because I'm working on Windows. So please some Adobe developer pay attention to all comments and open the possibility of development of third-party functionality.
Plugins that have been accessible in Sketch are much needed. One such is the ability to integrate font icon libraries. Being able to, INSIDE / INTEGRATED in the app, select an icon font library and search for the icons - it's a HUGE time saver.
So whether that's a 3rd party plugin that the open-source community could build, or it's a new feature in XD - it's incredibly valuable and I am hoping to see that in xd.
I would love to be able to hook into GitHub. My team uses that primarily for source control around coding and how awesome would it be to use this for our designs as well?
Daniel V commented
One of the big challenges of big projects is maintaining a design system. Adobe XD symbols are great, but how to maintain a design system when you work with 10 developers being in a 2 people design team? It also happens that I make changes in the browser and then I need to go back to Adobe XD to update the change. It makes the UI library / system very hard to maintain consistency on code + design. However, I think that you guys would never (or shouldn't) put too much effort on building these types of tools that AirBnB did with sketch for example: https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/25/airbnbs-new-open-source-library-lets-you-design-with-react-and-render-to-sketch/. For that reason, I don't understand why Adobe doesn't allow a plugin system, so other people like us can develop something to fix our own problems
Dear Adobe Team, as XD is missing a lot of core features yet, it would be great if you would give Developers the Opportunity to add missing stuff themselves.
This way we could add:
- Inner Shadows
- Extend the Layout Grid
- Helpers to distribute items on a Grid
and so on. In Sketch, the JS based Plugin Functionality was very helpful. Please consider this. I'd love to stay in Adobe's Ecosystem, but on the long run I'll switch to Sketch or Framer if I need to wait for you to add these features.
Adobe XD can be integrated with 3rd party apps like Anima launchpad, rapid UI ...... so it can help people to create faster designs with ease.....
David Mezei commented
This needs to be upvoted. The XD team is clearly small and slow, maybe this feature will speed up things...
Daniel Vianna commented
Hey guys! I have a great Idea for an Adobe XD plugin for user experience design / research and I can do programming. I was wondering why you guys are not allowing third party plugins? it's the standard on the app world these days to allow third party plugins or API's , like some software like Photoshop does.
Jeff Zundel commented
Come on, Adobe. If you're even remotely serious about taking on Sketch or InVision's Studio product, you absolutely must provide a way for a community of plugin developers to contribute to this product. I can understand how this didn't make it into the beta, or even the initial public release, but it's been long enough that there is NO other feature you could invest in that would come even close to the ROI as this.
I am surprised this was not even considered being as plugin support has been a corner stone of the the adobe ecosystem since it became available in it's suite of products.
Alexander Dimitrov commented
hey, joining the discussion to give some of my thoughts :)
Example use case for plugins in Adobe XD (in my eyes)
Similar use like Sublime Text. It has it's core UI and features. On it's own it works well enough for 80% of the people. But it slows down work as it requires more actions to do a certain task. For those 80% of users, plugins can speed up the work process (like exporting, linting etc). For the other 20%, plugins add new features without which the program won't work for them.
Now into Adobe XD. A big precentage of plugins will speed up work. This works both for incoming and outgoing data. Importing and editing as well as exporting data. What I want to see is a rock solid foundation from XD with the best performance out there. The two main things I would love are: Performace and Extendability.
That way you give the best product and allow the users to bloat their program as much as they want. It's their fault. Of course, that is if ther're 100 plugins installed... In other terms - work on performance and work on the tools that allow people to extend the program and hook to all possible palces.
Now for a list of plugins I would love to see (some require different type of access of course):
1. Plugin that adds more options to pick from for starter template dimentions. Smart watches, combination of layouts (mobile + tablet + desktop) and the like.
2. Plugin that can export PNG/JPG of a design into mockup image of a device.
3. Plugin that adds search for recent files. it will remove the limit
4. Hide/show both sidebars with TAB press. I mean that's such a simple thing but it's not in the program. Instead of waiting for implementation, why not let other developers to make it?
5. Ability to move assets and reorganize them. Ability to add them in groups if needed. Export them to beautiul organized artboards. Update the artboard automatically or on refresh button press.
6. Ability to modify symbol text as a text field instead of double click
7. Add button in the left toolbar for various tools. Example: FontAwesome picker. Usage; Press the icon (or shortcut). Next to it it opens a small dropdown with input field. Type the icon you want, click on it or navigate with keyboard and it will be pasted on the screen (as a regular test, not textarea with the proper front-family)
8. Add all text modification settings - underline, trike through, all caps, justify left/right except for last line and more.
9. A plugin that adds shortcut for color picker or bring back the easy eye picker tool next to the color select box.
10. Smart CSS output (without the absolute values) for selected element.
11. A plugin that replaces the dropdown for color vs gradient on color pick with buttons. (one less action to do)
12. Project Optimizer - If I import 18 MB image in a 500x300 box, it will be heavy. One click to optimize for 1x 2x or 3x export and reduce the image dimentions to lighten the whole document.
13. Content generator. Select 10 text fields (or repeated group), click on the desired content (Names, email addresses etc) and it will fill them all out.
14. Plugin that adds the functionality to auto transform imported image (as drag and drop into the program) to fit the viewport, no matter how big it is. That way you can easily see and manipulate it instead of zooming out every time.
plug in for sympli is good .
spacial thanks if added ;)