Linked Objects / Images from PSD or AI
Option to link objects (or generate smart objects) when pasted from a PSD or AI source to maintain a reference.
This would provide a simple method for single or multiple object updates (beyond the CC Design Libraries integration)—saving time and ensuring all objects are the most current.
Example: Revision to a microphone icon via Illustrator, which is used across 20 artboards
Harmen Struiksma commented
Not just Libraries please. I loved the fact that you can link files in Illustrator or Indesign.
Alexandr Viniychuk commented
Hi Peter, Joan.
That's a great start and in addition to that I'd like to share my desirable flow scenario:
- you create a button (let's say a filled rectangle and a text)
- convert it to the "smart object"
- you select a text and because it's a text inside the smart object you can see a new checkbox – "independent" text
- you copy that button to a new place from your library or by simple copy-paste
- you can change the text inside that 2nd button, and it will be changed only there
(at the same time, if you change style of the text – it should be replicated automatically to other instances)
In theory, it's possible to make the style of any object "detachable" from the smart object. It doesn't have to be a lot. Not all properties. Color & opacity will do the job for 95% cases.
p.s. Thank you so much for doing this great tool!
Import/paste pictures into boxes like in InDesign instead of having to import them and then mask them
CC libraries COULD solve the problem...but working with a lot of assets, the library can get very crowded. That would call for a more structured libraries-panel