Bug details

[Win10] Application stops responding (keyboard)

Version 9.1.12.3
Creative Cloud Sync 3.0.3.6
Windows 10 PRO · Version 1709
Lenovo X1 Carbon i7-6500 · 8 GB

Xd succesfully launch, but after a while (randomly between 10" ~ 5') the keyboard stops working. Not writing in text fields, not editing any UI field, not shortcuts. I have to close the program and launch it again.

Please, fix this problem because further than annoying, it makes really difficult to continue working with this fantastic app.

Thank you,

Francesc

358 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Francesc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

262 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can go to Menu on left top corner, click New and close the pop up window. That will kind of restart the keyboard and it will work another 5-10 minutes. But its very annoying and needs a fix.

• Marie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been having this issue for weeks. It's been getting worse the last week or so, which is probably because I'm using more features, such as the prototyping feature. I click off the window and go back to it, and it will work again BUT ITS VERY DISRUPTIVE TO MY WORKFLOW. Frustrating.

I've updated my graphics drivers, kept Windows updated . . . no change. looking forward to this bug fix.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The shortcuts which stops working after 10-15mins only start after re-launching the XD application. This bug needs to be fixed

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still a major problem on the latest Windows release. Completely unacceptable for any software, really.

TEMPORARY FIX:
        For those who need to keep using XD despite the issue, I've found hitting the Windows key (which pulls up the Start menu) and then clicking back into the XD window usually corrects the problem, restoring keyboard usage. It's a cumbersome solution, but it's something.

• Michael Caporale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still happening with latest update 14.0.42.14.
        Seems to still happen with lots of fast clicks, pans with space bar and mouse.

Reminder for those still suffering alongside me:
        Tap the "Windows" Key twice to open and close the start menu. This will refocus the XD app and you can usually resume normally. Sometimes it gets stuck on the hand cursor, so I have to hit the space bar again and pan to remind it that I'm no longer panning.

• shravan kohli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is Ridiculous. How can adobe roll out a software when it is so glitchy and buggy.
        Adobe XD doesn't needs suggestions, it needs a Beta Test.
        I have had this issue multiple times and I am going to recommend my organization stop using this software.

• TiredOfBugs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had my keyboard not working and forced restart twice in a span of 10 minutes. It has gotten so bad that I had to visit this page to see if there was a fix. This is ridiculous that this bug hasn't been fixed for the past 6 months.

• Surya Kumaran S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a serious issue , I have to restart like 20 times in a hour of editing . This has to be fixed or i might have to switch to figma

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had an email regarding update where we should be seeing much less of this happening. I updated and still getting plenty if not more lag/freezing. This is making want to stop using XD all together :(

• Chad McComsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came here for the same reasons... however, after taking a look at what's happening on my PC while I'm working in XD, I'm noticing the lag and apparent "shut down" of the keyboard are happening, as far as I can tell, when I've been working in a file for a little while and haven't saved. I have many of my working files in Dropbox and I've noticed that my Dropbox is syncing when I'm experiencing the "shut down" in XD. Beforehand, I'd get frustrated, close XD, and start over. However, instead of tossing my PC out the window, I took a walk around the office. When I came back, everything was back to normal. I was prompted by the same keyboard issue to write this post today. I went back to XD to check if I had regained control and, sure enough, I did.

I tried to find some information about how often temporary files are created, backed up, etc. and ended up finding some information related to the Auto-Recovery feature in XD. This made a lot of sense once I put the Dropbox experience into perspective. Here is the link: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/12930552-auto-save-in-case-of-system-crash

Here is the primary content:

"With XD versions 8 and 9 we’ve gradually released Auto-Recovery. This is a feature that restores files automatically in the event of an application or system crash. Auto-Recovery is enabled by default and available for both Windows 10 and Mac users."

How it works:
        - While editing an XD file, Auto-Recovery runs in the background and stores the edits in a backup file at every 5 seconds. Every time you save the file, the backup is cleaned up from your disk, so there’s no impact on storage.
        - In the event of an application or system crash, the backup file is used to restore the last unsaved edits to the original files.
        - At next XD launch, the recovered file is available as a recent file in the Start screen or the “File” menu option.
        - Recovered files can be identified by the “*” character added at the end of the document title.
        - This feature has no impact on XD’s or your device’s speed and performance.

After reading some of the experiences below, this seems to be a viable culprit in many instances simply based on the size of the files described and occasionally forgetting to save. It also explains my experience above, everything froze because my recovery file was taking priority. I suppose it also stands to reason that since CC is cloud-based that some of the other features such as TypeKit would also impact your XD file, causing it to function slow or lag. I know that when I make content changes, specifically to size and leading (line-spacing), it often takes a few seconds to recover. My guess is that by managing the size of your files, as well as saving more often, will help you reduce the impact of this bug.

• Lindsay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the timeline for correcting this issue? This is a critical bug for PC users.

• dejainer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am really used to this by now. Have this issue since many months. Now repeatedly pressing Alt +Tab to switch between applications (this fixes the keyboard issue for a few seconds for me) has become a part of my habit/workflow.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm forced to use XD cause I took over a project from a colleague in at my workplace and the constant keyboard-crashing starts to drive me crazy.

Apart from a couple of other annoying UI issues this is the thing that's most frustrating when you work on a large layout.

It's a bit of an irony that Adobe named this program Xperience Designer and offers such a frustrating User Experience to its customers:

- like slow clicking response times
        - unprecise sizing and positioning aid

- selecting between the group or object inside of the group takes me many attempts sometimes
        - visual aid to see what the heck is actually selected (group or colored rectangle inside of the group)
        - no "smart hirachy logic" when you duplicte elements

- ever tried to shift-select two specific objects that are nested in different groups? It's just not possible :)
        - ever tried to select and move an object that is under a semi-transparent rectangle? It's just not possible :)
        - ever tried to nest selected groups into a group that is also in the selection? It's just not possible :)

• Aenias Fritsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are a Designer / intensive User of Adobe-Software, there is just no way you can still word on a PC. This is terrible, because I refused to get a Mac for so many years now, but this is just over now. All of those Font-Bugs, Shortcut Issues, Programm-Crashes without data-backups.... Just too much time wasted. So I'm gonna give up and get a fucking expansive iMac now, goodbye Microsoft, eventhough I had really good hardware in my PC. The Windows-System is just not made for professionals, if you work in 4-5 Adobe Programs at once while rendering CGI or Videos - no way you can do it fluently on a Microsoft system. Just no way. But I'll switch to sketch anyway, since it's just way better piece of software :)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base