Request details

Annotations in design mode

As explained the title, the ability for designers to add notes whilst working, to art boards, to remember ideas, note down comments from users/team members etc

246 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. We're finding not being able to added functional spec into the design problematic for our workflow. Using the commenting functionality to do so in Review mode, doesn't work as final decisions can get buried down in the comments.

As designers we need to be able to clearly articulate final spec separately. Being able to do this in the context of the design/wireframe as annotations is invaluable in conveying these to developers.

Would be nice too, to be able to enumerate acceptance criteria that relates back to specific user stories.

This seems to be an obvious missing piece to making XD a more effective collaboration tool.

• Js Kang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

포토샵과 같은 메모 기능이 있으면 좋을 것 같습니다.

It would be nice if you had a memo feature like Photoshop.

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to open up a panel with annotations in a pane to assist in live amendments without having to open the browser.

• Anas Alshanti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be able to add notes when clicking on the board, this can be a simple text editor with ability to adding external links, same goes for any selected element, I find it very useful feature to remember why I added this element or to explain what this board is about, it also helps communicate ideas with deverlopes, colleagues and clients.

• Brandan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simple indicator using simple text where designers can add notes or comments regarding specific artboards. For instance, I would love to include a comment for the dev team that includes links to Google Material components used on an artboard so they don't panic and think they have to code it on their own. The note would be transferred to the spec in the already available comment section. Pretty please. Thank you.

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? Creating annotations is crucial - I can't believe this doesn't exist already...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to be able to add your own notes to various artboards that aren't shown on the mockups flow themselves

• Rica-Marie Garcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice for other people to add notes to the prototype and those notes will be saved in the design file. I already know about the comment feature, but it's nice to see the notes by the screens in the design files, vs trying to find the comments and I could forget about them.

• Stig Kristensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely a must have. I need to add notes about behavior and details around how things should be implemented once build. At the moment I have to keep track of my notes while designing, and then add them to the published design specs, which is more admin that I would like to have...

• Casey Arendt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see a visual indicator in the design specs which artboards have assets and in the live file the layers, artboards, assets or some addition UI palette should make it easier to find and manage assets marked for export. Having control over the export options as well would be great. Or potentially having a "placeholder" version that is marked obviously but as the designer I could go back and manually save assets later for the dev. In this way I get full control but do not block them moving forward.

• TA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to add notes that will optionally appear in exported PDFs and optionally appear in published prototypes. Depending on the audience we want to show the notes or not...having it there but optional when sharing would go a long way to closing the loop between designer and dev.

• LC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Designers need to be able to communicate important behaviors to developers via notes but we also need to hide these notes when exporting artboards as PDF or other formats. These "design" notes should not be visible in published prototypes--they serve a purpose different than the comments within prototypes. It's a nightmare trying to effectly communicate behavioral information to developers via another means. The most effective way is to attach call outs or notes right within visual designs. We all look forward to your solution to this problem. Thanks!

• Cameron Sagey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Badly needed - Also, please sync with prototype & design specs, allow viewers to comment on our annotations, and sync the comments back to Design View. That way we never have to leave Design view to communicate with multiple teams and to make changes.

• Melody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be useful to add comments while designing a page that would show up on the link I send to the developers. Currently I would have to create a link and make my notes there after publishing the design specs. This breaks up my workflow, since I'd like to make my comments as I think of them, while working on a design. It would be awesome if you could make a comment only visible in design specs - so a note to developers would only be visible to them, and not show up on the prototype, but could be useful to publish comments with a prototype as well.

I've attached what my current comments look like.

An important feature to write down notes for yourself and/or explain specific elements to a client or colleague.

Should potentially be uploaded with published prototype. Perhaps it could be an option to include it when publishing.

• Martin Klausen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    An important feature to write down notes for yourself and/or explain specific elements to a client or colleague.

Should potentially be uploaded with published prototype. Perhaps it could be an option to include it when publishing.

• Artur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I made a similar post. Please see "All artboards together on one page in pdf"

I agree that for UX design, this is feature is absolutely critical to communicating flow and intent. Annotations should support a variety of content types, including things like text and attaching files.

• JVR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree, this is needed. As it stands I still need other wireframes apps to allow for this. The way it works in Balsamiq's Mockups is simple and sound: you have a bunch of assets flagged as markups, and you can display/hide them on the fly. Pretty useful when reviewing the specifics of your design with programmers. This, and a password protected sharing system, would complete my list of must-haves.

• Aleshia Bonilla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work primarily on UI and webdesign then pass it to a programmer. It would be VERY helpful to be able to put a note on an element directly in the design. If the tips could act like a tooltip so when the developer roles over it they can see the note it wouldn't hinder the design work.

Use Case examples would be:
    -How a field should operate, or where that data is in the database
    -If something is fixed, dynamic, etc
    -Where the asset is stored, like a youtube video address, other link values, etc.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base