Request details

Scale/resize symbols individually

I love the addition of symbols to XD, only let down (beside the ability to re-organise them which is already posted as an idea) is that I have to create a new symbol for every required size.

Please let us scale the symbols

428 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul Waitforit Mooney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vinnie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very helpful to be able to control the size of symbols used. Maybe even have to the option to
        "lock in" certain properties. Maybe sometimes I'd want to have the size locked in, and in other instances would want the size to be able to fluctuate. But if I had to have a trade off, I'd prefer the ability to resize a symbols on a particular screen. Would love a drop down or something that gives me the option of "locking in" things like size and color, or not.

• erika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another example for a use for a singular symbol change shortcut key would be Anonymous' need to bold and unbold a nav menu

• erika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I one up this request and raise you another. It would be really cool if we could just hold a shortcut key (like alt or something) that would allow us to modify a single symbol instance on a singular level rather then changing it globally for not just resizing but also, minor anchor point changes, color changes, etc.

I know that seems pointless to use a symbol in the first place then, but hear me out. Lets say I have a hamburger menu symbol and I use it on every artboard with a white background. But on one of the boards the hero banner is a dark color, and thus I need to change the menu icon/symbol to be white to contrast that one particular background, but I like all the spacing and everything else from the original icon and want that all to remain globally synced. If I could just click that one instance and hold alt to temporary break the global link and make a minor change like size or color while still keeping all the other aspects globally connected that would be amazing.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is it even possible that you release a symbols feature without the ability to RESIZE??? Just insane.

• Anuar Bolatov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want Symbol Scaling feature and ability to align & justify instances within symbol like Anima does

• Harun Alikadić commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is status of this request?

Workaround that may help someone to make text bold/change_color in only one instance:
        Select first half of the text and make it bold, then select last part of the text and make it bold. Done. It will make bold the entire text of the single instance, leaving all other regular.

• Bryce Flynn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Configurable instances of symbols - size, labels, colors and especially STATES - of huge value. Just look at dear old, gone-but-not-forgotten Fireworks to see what's been lost.

I'm designing a website. I created a symbol out of a navbar. How can I change font (bold) in only one of the menu items? When I do that all instances change to bold but I want only one to be highlighted to indicate that this very page is the current one. There's no problem with writing some other name, but this does not solve my issue. Thanks in advance.

• Coen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand how this one is not on the backlog yet :D Number one missing feature compared to Sketch imo

So many comments, for God's sake just look at Sketch how they scale symbols and do it better.

XD is a great minimal tool, but symbol management is what keeps so many UX designers away from XD still.

You can kind of scale symbols in XD if you double click on them. At least it's been working like that for me.

sketch has symbols with padding I think I want to move to xd but lacking a lot in symbols :(

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base