Request details

Scale/resize symbols individually

I love the addition of symbols to XD, only let down (beside the ability to re-organise them which is already posted as an idea) is that I have to create a new symbol for every required size.

Please let us scale the symbols

1,404 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul Waitforit Mooney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

118 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I would make a symbol in Sketch, I have to leave as a group in XS so I can scale an element. It's a pain, so please, let's get this one in there.

Creating different symbols for variations of the same thing is currently my biggest pain point with XD.

Any news from the developers? XD is awesome, but we are currently struggling with productivity because of not having this feature.

• Martin Klausen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes frustrating that this takes so long (one of the last few “big ones”, at least for me). But seeing this taking so long also reassures me that what’s coming is gonna be really really awesome.

Alright. Here is your challenge. You have one month to release this feature in less than a year!!! You can do it. I believe in you.

• Tiago Fontella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Either it's more complicated than it seems or you don't see a value to make it a priority"

I can't create a decent design system without this basic feature. It would add a lot of value to the product and bring many more designers to the platform.

• cjw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like you can size/scale linked symbols. Why not symbols defined locally in the document itself?

This really is a basic requirement? why is it not the default behaviour?

To not be able to resize/rotate an instanced object is missing the point of having instanced objects.

Any news on when this will be implemented ? and why it wasn't like this from release??

I can't believe that it is in works since March... Adobe please implement it ASAP, it is really frustrating and I'm thinking as well to give up on Adobe XD.

• Alexandru Hasmatuchi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is requested in many different forms here on XD uservoice.

I see features like animation getting delivered but no movement on core features like this one that greatly improve our workflow.

Please make it a higher priority. Make it happen. :D

Symbol appearance overrides is the 1 feature I keep looking for every single time UX get's an update and the last reason I don't use it.

At this point XD is the only experience design software that I've tested that doesn't have this feature. Having to use many symbols to reflect button size, shape and color is awful. Every button has different text width and I can't make it wider to accommodate. I have to break from original and isn't this what symbols is supposed to avoid. And just think about state changes. :mindblown:

Honestly, what is taking so long to get this feature ready. Either it's more complicated than it seems or you don't see a value to make it a priority. Either way I am very sad.

• Peter Villevoye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, the idiomatic approach of this issue is worth another Bug Report or Feature Improvement. Why "Ungroup" something which isn't a true group, and which doesn't even need to consist of multiple elements ? Let's call it "Release", to prevent any more confusion, and use "Override" as the command for all kinds of actions which don't release the symbol but cleverly allow for certain edits.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base