Request details

Scale/resize symbols individually

I love the addition of symbols to XD, only let down (beside the ability to re-organise them which is already posted as an idea) is that I have to create a new symbol for every required size.

Please let us scale the symbols

1,641 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul Waitforit Mooney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

144 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be priority 1. Drop everything and make this happen please. It renders symbols essentially useless for the majority of use cases.

• Julien Desmettre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Solution : group your symbol, you'll be able to resize it as any other objects. In fact it's not even a feature, it's just a destabilizing behaviour. But that is understandable in a dev point of view, as a symbol has to be re-used as is in other templates of the app, like a component.

• liam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really really need this feature - especially for creating reusable UI design systems

- one of the most missing features i've come across 👍

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any word on when we can expect this feature? Many of the other suggestions are nice to haves, but this is one of those make or break features that is missing. You can't coordinate an organization, from a design perspective, unless practitioners can resize and stay linked. As-is XD is still meant for one-off projects until we get this in.

• r commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's pretty laughable you can't scale symbols individually. Right into the bin with this application.

• Marc Baskin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really love XD, so I'm very surprised that it doesn't have scalable symbols. In my mind it's just a group, and I would think I'd be able to manipulate it in the same way. It's standard functionality for symbols in design software at this point.

I'm forced to break the symbol to resize, which defeats the point I think.

EDIT: I see work has started on this feature (thanks!) ... but almost a year ago ...

• Tomasz Świtała commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 you guys really should make this your top priority. Just read the comments - almost all designers are waiting for this feature!

• Maria M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+ 1 vote for scalable symbols too! You've done great in relative scaling of grouped items, doing same with symbols would be a life saver!

• David Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keep up the great work guys, but please make this a priority. I'm finding that little, but very important things like this are being put on the backburner for new features. Get the basics right first then do all the cool new stuff.

• Nicola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical feature, a year ago we decided to move forward to xd in hope that this feature is going to release soon, every release we hoped that this could be one of the release features. Unfortunate, after a year, this is still labeled as 'feature started'.

For the users that need this feature, this is a life saver rather than something nice to have. I hope the development team can understand and escalate this feature and get it in the next release!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base