Request details

Scale/resize symbols individually

I love the addition of symbols to XD, only let down (beside the ability to re-organise them which is already posted as an idea) is that I have to create a new symbol for every required size.

Please let us scale the symbols

377 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul Waitforit Mooney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm designing a website. I created a symbol out of a navbar. How can I change font (bold) in only one of the menu items? When I do that all instances change to bold but I want only one to be highlighted to indicate that this very page is the current one. There's no problem with writing some other name, but this does not solve my issue. Thanks in advance.

• Coen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand how this one is not on the backlog yet :D Number one missing feature compared to Sketch imo

So many comments, for God's sake just look at Sketch how they scale symbols and do it better.

XD is a great minimal tool, but symbol management is what keeps so many UX designers away from XD still.

You can kind of scale symbols in XD if you double click on them. At least it's been working like that for me.

sketch has symbols with padding I think I want to move to xd but lacking a lot in symbols :(

• Sjoerd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To specify a bit more what exactly would be useful (imo):

- Being able to resize symbol instances without affecting the 'origin' symbol would add a lot more flexibility to working with symbols.
        - On top of that, I think being able to set resizing rules (stretch - float - pin to corner - resize), similarly to Sketch would be necessary to have some control over how objects within the symbols scale individually.
        - I'd also like to add that these resizing rules are (in Sketch) currently NOT limited to symbols alone. Instead, they're available to use in groups in general. Which is actually a good feature to have as well!

So far my 2 cents on this feature. :)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base