Request details

Line height: should function as it does on the web

On the web, i often use line height to determin the height of the types container. Therefore the text should sit vertically centrally to its line height. This is different to how line height works in print.
I also use line height for vertical rhythm. see more info on this here:
http://typecast.com/blog/4-simple-steps-to-vertical-rhythm

vertical rhythm is a huge factor when I design for web

94 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Todd Padwick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ruby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is killing me right now. It makes me angry that I can't have vertical rhythm

• Steph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on guys, this is way more important than some prototyping stuff or whatever. I want to switch to Adobe XD, but I can't setup a proper document with a 8pt grid without setting a simple line-height.

• Kartik Iyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear team, has this bug fix even made it to the backlog yet? Fixing this is so important! I don't know how to explain to the developers what my design would look like when live because the line height specified and rendered in my design completely differs from the line height that they have to use when they are implementing it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah. Can't recommend to a major client because of this. Design specs are incorrect because of this issue.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be the default. Maybe with an option to switch to top align (as is)

It's ridiculous that a program made for designing digital products is using print line height.

I don't get why XD (which is not a print program) is using print line height and not CSS line-height? I've just worked out a (so-called) 30px line height in XD is actually 23px. What use is that to a developer? Come on Adobe, get with the program.

• Jesse Overlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wanted to request this as well. This is becoming common practice. And I'm not seeing many updates from the team on this issue.

For instance, many design languages and best practices (Material Design being one) call for a 4 point baseline grid for consistent vertical rhythm, but if I turn on that grid in XD and try to snap to it, it's the box that snaps, not the line height or baseline, throwing the whole thing off the grid, requiring random nudging to get it to sit on the grid. If you're using 16px font size and 24px line height you should be able to always sit that right on a 4px baseline grid without having to nudge!

Thanks!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base