Request details

Text input field with actions

For prototyping and user testing, a text input field control would be very helpful. Bonus if you could apply actions to enter / submit based on different strings.

158 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RobRob shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Felipe AraujoFelipe Araujo shared a merged idea: Editable Input Fields  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: fillable text fields  ·   · 
    EmasoftEmasoft shared a merged idea: Allow user input strings to be typed and reused in subsequents steps  ·   · 

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • WillWill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please add this. Along with ability to mimic smart search results. Time for a tid bit more complexity. We can handle it

• Meir BenezraMeir Benezra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

atomic has this feature, where you could style a text input as a box of input and then use the same input field styling it as plain text in another screen. This way you can carry the users input to other screens.

• SebSeb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Proto.io, Atomic, and Justinmind support this feature (I think Invision Labs Craft Prototype for Sketch may as well), and it makes such a huge difference in the realistic feel of the prototype.

I love the idea of applying different actions based on different strings. Brilliant!

This feature would lift Xd to a truly first-class prototyping tool.

Vote for it if you want it! :)

• Anthony SchmidtAnthony Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 To all the comments in this thread. Testing user workflows - think the kind you make in BPMN - gets old FAST when you tell the participant, "Imagine that you have typed in..." Start with just being able to designate a shape as a text input field. But the comments here about if-else, and reusing strings is subsequent steps are right on.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please add this! Being able to test text input would be GREAT and make XD stand out. I have been trying different prototyping programs to try and test this for a project and it is very frustrating.

• Felipe AraujoFelipe Araujo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Setup Text Layers to automatic transform into live input fields during preview.
        *Configure different keyboard types and define behavior for the return key.

• Dimitra MihaDimitra Miha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Axure is a very good example. Testing forms is a top priority issue for websites, e-shops, web applications! For everything!

I would like to see if-else variables. Like an autofill features which pops when typing certain characters in an input field. See axure as an example.

If 'character' = 'b' show: Book, belt, balloon
        if 'character' = 'bo' show: book

Stripping down based on input with customisable variables.

fillable text fields, a better viewer without web nav bar on mobile devices, and other reqs

looking forward to updates. hoping for more robust animation features (like scrolls and fillable text fields).

• EmasoftEmasoft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow user input strings to be typed and reused in subsequents steps.
        An input element should add a "input value n°1" entry to a list of global text values, and then those values can be used as text content for any text label in the subsequent steps.

Feedback and Knowledge Base