Request details

Text input field with actions

For prototyping and user testing, a text input field control would be very helpful. Bonus if you could apply actions to enter / submit based on different strings.

177 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RobRob shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes! this would be very helpful. our testers often try to type in the text fields and their feedback is affected because it doesn't feel natural to click and suddenly have all the fields filled.

• AnilAnil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work on Axure and it will be very helpful for having few basic form elements to help our UX testing folks better.
        Check box
        Radio button,
        Text field,
        Drop-down,
        Accordions, tabs etc

• WillWill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please add this. Along with ability to mimic smart search results. Time for a tid bit more complexity. We can handle it

• Meir BenezraMeir Benezra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

atomic has this feature, where you could style a text input as a box of input and then use the same input field styling it as plain text in another screen. This way you can carry the users input to other screens.

• SebSeb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Proto.io, Atomic, and Justinmind support this feature (I think Invision Labs Craft Prototype for Sketch may as well), and it makes such a huge difference in the realistic feel of the prototype.

I love the idea of applying different actions based on different strings. Brilliant!

This feature would lift Xd to a truly first-class prototyping tool.

Vote for it if you want it! :)

• Anthony SchmidtAnthony Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 To all the comments in this thread. Testing user workflows - think the kind you make in BPMN - gets old FAST when you tell the participant, "Imagine that you have typed in..." Start with just being able to designate a shape as a text input field. But the comments here about if-else, and reusing strings is subsequent steps are right on.

please add this! Being able to test text input would be GREAT and make XD stand out. I have been trying different prototyping programs to try and test this for a project and it is very frustrating.

• Felipe AraujoFelipe Araujo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Setup Text Layers to automatic transform into live input fields during preview.
        *Configure different keyboard types and define behavior for the return key.

• Dimitra MihaDimitra Miha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Axure is a very good example. Testing forms is a top priority issue for websites, e-shops, web applications! For everything!

I would like to see if-else variables. Like an autofill features which pops when typing certain characters in an input field. See axure as an example.

If 'character' = 'b' show: Book, belt, balloon
        if 'character' = 'bo' show: book

Stripping down based on input with customisable variables.

fillable text fields, a better viewer without web nav bar on mobile devices, and other reqs

looking forward to updates. hoping for more robust animation features (like scrolls and fillable text fields).

• EmasoftEmasoft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow user input strings to be typed and reused in subsequents steps.
        An input element should add a "input value n°1" entry to a list of global text values, and then those values can be used as text content for any text label in the subsequent steps.

Feedback and Knowledge Base