Request details

Layout Grid (Columns, Rows, Margins, Gutter)

Have an ability to display a grid/guides mainly for web design use cases.

2,357 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jasper Lepardo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

273 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Camilo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the Grid Layout feature! However, it seems that the user is not able to view the "Grid Layout" and the "Grid Square" at the same time.

There also needs to be an option to create "free" Guides and a Baseline Grid. And of course, have the ability to view them all at the same time—just like Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.

Very important, otherwise, it still feels unusable!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incomplete feature! At least two important options are missing: adjust the grid width and baseline to create vertical rhythm. I can not understand how after six months this app still does not incorporate basic design options like these that are easy to implement, it seems a joke... Many users have been claiming these options for months in this thread...

• Coen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This one seems like it's no longer relevant since the november 2017 update?

Great to have the new grid feature, but I'm really missing rows/baseline grid. Vertical rhythm is important! :-)

• Kevin Neal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The layout grid feature is great, really helpful. I just feel it is missing one option - the ability to set a maximum width of the entire grid (including the margins)

Often you'll be designing on the 1366px artboard but only want the content to be, say 1200px. I know you can set a large margin to replicate this but it feels counter-intuitive doing this. and if you then scale the artboard the grid will scale, if you could set a maximum width the grid could stay anchored to this number regardless of artboard size

• Ivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally a grid system.... If I want to use a 960 grid with Col - 60px, Gtr - 20px, Margin - 10px on a 1366 Web layout. I would have to minus the margin from the grid ( 940px ) to get the correct gutter and column width.

So, my margin would be 213px not 203px....
        1366 - 940 = 246 / 2 = 213px Left and Right Margins..

I hope this helps David...Since there's no option for contain to Artboard

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New layout Grid in latest version is fab, thanks. But I cannot see where you can set the overall width this should use. I would like my grid to be 1440px, 16cols, 10px margin and 20px gutter. However, if I change gutter width it just alters column width and visa versa. Seems impossible to set a column and gutter width which expands the overall grid - I am missing something?

• Harold Vergucht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of responsive designs are made with responsive grids.
        Like many designers I use the 12 columns system. Together with margins en gutter settings. Als guides and rulers.
        Don't really like the pixel grid. Because it never works out the way you want.

• Мария Коломенская commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just can't use this app now because there is no grid system. Feels like nobody can use this app without grid system. This is the second thing every designer do after creating the artboard. Second! And it's still not here.

I was quite excited about XD when you sent me the email and I watched the vids.... finally something to rival sketch but sit inside all our normal CC design flows.

Unfortunately I just sat down, created my first new project file ready to set up.... literally the second thing I would do after creating a new file is set up my grid system.

So after a few minutes of looking for it I'm thinking - "Surely its here somewhere.... but, oh.... no.... you haven't added it yet!!!! What the heck???!??

Seriously though - who signed off on your MVP dev plan - without this feature XD is pretty hard to take seriously.

I would literally just drop in something similar to Adobe Indesign - that has excellent layout tools.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, layout grid - everything else is a great improvement on 'sketch' - why no layout grid though beggars belief.
        Then rollovers + interactions on objects not just between screens.

Not sure how / why you would launch a product with no ability to add or create a layout grid. This is design 101!

Is there a timeline when this feature will be added?

• Lesje commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any idea how long this will take?? Just tried to switch to XD (again) from Sketch... and there's no layout. aaaaaaaaaaargh

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well your out of Beta and it still isnt here? What are you guys doing over there at Adobe honestly. This legit is the ONLY reason people use Sketch over your products and the fact that you didnt include at least a rip off of sketch is just sad and I have honestly lost all faith in this project. I have downloaded it every time there was a new update, and when i saw no grids I uninstalled. Get your shit together, and if its not clear by all the comments here well then I have no hope.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base