Request details

Linked Objects / Images

Option to link objects (or generate smart objects) when pasted from a PSD or AI source to maintain a reference.

This would provide a simple method for single or multiple object updates (beyond the CC Design Libraries integration)—saving time and ensuring all objects are the most current.

Example: Revision to a microphone icon via Illustrator, which is used across 20 artboards

964 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peter DiBartolo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if you could have the option of 'edit in photoshop/illustrator' for an image inserted in XD that would update similar to smart objects in Photoshop, for example:

- I insert an image with an off-white background that needs adjusting
        - Right click on the image and select the option ''edit in photoshop'
        - This opens up the image in photoshop where I can adjust the levels and do what I need to do.
        - Once I click save this then automatically updates the image in XD.

• Anders JPG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see if i can work in PS and have the file open in XD and as i make changes in PS i will see the changes auto update in XD

<3

• Alexey Kletsel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a must have feature. We need an ability to link Illustrator files with choosing artboard and even layers, just like in InDesign. I need to be able to design icons for a project, each one on its artboard, as ONE file and place them separately in an XD file. Thank you.

• z4ne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot believe something so basic as relinking images is still not possible.

The "Place" command in Indesign upon any selected rectangle or SHAPE - is byfar the most critical feature that should have been made consistent and standard to all adobe apps.

Whilst XD seems promising replacement to Sketch, I just don't understand all these accumulating feature requests which ARE SO FUNDAMENTAL TO ALL OTHER programs yet does not exist in XD?

Otherwise XD is at the moment is simply a cut-down Illustrator with online publishing features with slide transitions inbetween artboards.

It's one step forward, two steps backwards.

• kamgrus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think one of the powerful thing that Adobe XD can have is full support to PSD and AI. I don't get the import option that we have right now. I'm talking about option that I can place a PSD and "edit original" from XD, same like in InDesign.

• raul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totes! This feature should have been implemented from the start. One of the reason I'm holding back from fully embracing XD tool. Adobe, I know you have the resources let's just get 'er done!

• hayley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there another workaround for this besides for having all images/illustrations in a CC library? How am I supposed to edit an image after I've imported it into Adobe XD? Makes no sense why this isn't a feature

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Building components in Illustrator, exported with Asset Export with XD having ability to update imported graphics automatically as InDesign can.

The Fireworks ability to edit master file assets were created with was a huge time saver.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Transform the object to symbol It's simple to refresh whole instance after change it

• martin rigby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh yeah. This leverages many existing workflows for file and version management. As far as I know, Sketch doesn't do it without a plugin.

• cecilia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tretating copy/paste vectors from illustrator as smart objects, the same way photoshop does.
        Double clicking on the vector layer on XD would open it on Ai so you can make your changes, hit save, and they'd reflect on xd.

• Josef commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a priority. It would be nice to have auto updating links from the filesystem. This suggestion goes hand in hand with another suggestion on providing additional properties on images such as source.

• Giuseppe Castiglione commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with this.

Currently have an image with text on top in XD which isn't working so I am editing in PS, exporting and then dragging into XD, to see how it looks with the text on top, having to go back to PS and start the cycle again. Not very efficent way of working.

• Olivier Burgarella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

De la même manière que fonctionne : Invision
        Un outil sur photoshop qui permettrait de synchroniser les Artboards avec le projet sur XD

• Deliutak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to Ind and Ai, it would be great to have an active location for all linked images. That way, any changes I make on a file on eg PSD will be automatically linked to XD. Or I can go in and manually relink files. Otherwise, I have to remember where my files are and manually pull them into XD.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As probably XD won't be so powerful as Illustrator or photoshop are in creating graphics, it could be very useful to link XD artboards to ILL/PS artboards dynamically (and 2way), so I can design on ILL/PS and have a direct link to XD artboards, keeping the prototyping settings updated for the objects.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base