Bug details

Autosave is ruining my life

While working in a cloud file of any size, every edit I make triggers the autosave feature to go into "saving" mode, preventing me from making any more edits until it is completed. This takes roughly 20 seconds for a smaller file (10 artboards) and is incredibly frustrating.

In cloud files, while working in either design or prototype mode, I will go from layer to layer "in the zone" working on a design and I am constantly having to stop working while the file is "saving" automatically. It happens far too frequently after every little change is committed to an artboard, layer or element. When I move on to the next artboard, layer or element I have to completely stop what I'm doing and wait for autosave to finish! The larger the file, the longer it takes. On the file I'm currently working in, it's taking 20 seconds. Every minute or two I have to wait for 20 seconds for this!

It's happening in cloud files of all sizes, even new ones without any artboards yet.

All OS (Mac and WIN)
Latest version of XD 19.2.22.3
Creative Cloud 4.8.2.476
Creative Cloud Sync 4.2.5.1

PLEASE ESCALATE!

This issue has been reported already but has not seen any response from Adobe in 4 months... seems like it was swept under the rug bc the ticket didn't contain enough info. PLEASE REOPEN THIS ISSUE.

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353010-adobe-xd-bugs/suggestions/36536449-autosave-causes-xd-to-crawl-to-a-halt-while-worki

11 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lisa Ponder shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Lisa Ponder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Helllo again!

RE your last comment, I do have the latest build (see above...)

The crash report is below - please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Not to sound like a broken record but the issue is that we cannot continue to work in a file while it is autosaving to a cc cloud file. The sutosave kicks in every time we switch from one element or layer to another.

Thank you!

Faulting application name: XD.exe, version: 19.2.22.3, time stamp: 0x5cef0540
    Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.17134.556, time stamp: 0xd94c4e1e
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x00000000006a6082
    Faulting process id: 0x33ac
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d51fca08245624
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Adobe.CC.XD_19.2.22.3_x64__adky2gkssdxte\XD.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
    Report Id: 94e9e01f-e4e5-4156-814d-c79e454a9efc
    Faulting package full name: Adobe.CC.XD_19.2.22.3_x64__adky2gkssdxte
    Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Helllo again!

RE your last comment, I do have the latest build (see above...)

The crash report is attached - please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Not to sound like a broken record but the issue is that we cannot continue to work in a file while it is autosaving to a cc cloud file. The sutosave kicks in every time we switch from one element or layer to another.

Thank you!

• AdminLalita (Admin, Adobe) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lisa,

My point was that we need to know what is going on in your machine and for that may be crash dump would have given us the clue.

I understand your frustration and can relate to the same but to debug this further we would need cc logs from your machine.

Link to get cc logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html

Please get these logs so that we can start investigation. Meanwhile please bear with us.

While working in a cloud file of any size, every edit I make triggers the autosave feature to go into "saving" mode, preventing me from making any more edits until it is completed. This takes roughly 20 seconds for a smaller file (10 artboards) and is incredibly frustrating.

In cloud files, while working in either design or prototype mode, I will go from layer to layer "in the zone" working on a design and I am constantly having to stop working while the file is "saving" automatically. It happens far too frequently after every little change is committed to an artboard, layer or element. When I move on to the next artboard, layer or element I have to completely stop what I'm doing and wait for autosave to finish! The larger the file, the longer it takes. On the file I'm currently working in, it's taking 20 seconds. Every minute or two I have to wait for 20 seconds for this!

It's happening in cloud files of all sizes, even new ones without any artboards yet.

All OS (Mac and WIN)
    Creative Cloud 4.8.2.476

PLEASE ESCALATE!

All OS (Mac and WIN)
    Creative Cloud 4.8.2.476

PLEASE ESCALATE!

All OS (Mac and WIN)
    Creative Cloud 4.8.2.476

PLEASE ESCALATE!

Hello Lalita -

So you're telling me that I have to wait for it to crash again for you to help me? This issue is about the day to day struggle of autosave ruining my productivity. It's not related to it crashing. That was one instance. The true issue is autosave causing use of the program to freeze REPEATEDLY. It doesn't go a full minute of me working on a design before it stops again and I'm about ready to completly switch design platforms bc of it.

I cannot even begin to tell you how frustrated I am.

PLEASE address the issue. Don't sweep this under the rug bc of the crash report. THE ISSUE IS AUTOSAVE NEEDING SEVER IMPROVEMENT!

• AdminLalita (Admin, Adobe) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Lisa,

We regret the inconvenience caused.
    We would need the crash dump (Crash report) which you might be seeing after XD crashes for you.

Please share that with us and we will definitely look into this further.

Regards,
    Lalita
    Adobe XD

Now Autosave is causing XD to crash!!!!! Please fix this....

When autosave is completed on a cloud file, the top of the screen says "saved" by the file name yet the entire program experiences ridiculous lag. By the time it selects the element/layer/setting I clicked on, 5-10 seconds have passed and then it immediately crashes. Every time.

This is happening to me as well. In cloud files, while working in either design or prototype mode, I will go from layer to layer "in the zone" working on a design and I am constantly having to stop working while the file is "saving" automatically. VERY FRUSTRATING. It happens far too frequently, after every little change in an artboard or element. When I move on to the next artboard, layer or element I have to wait for autosave to finish! The larger the file, the longer it takes. On the file I'm currently working in, it's taking 20 seconds. Every minute or two I have to wait for 20 seconds for this!

All OS (Mac and WIN)
    Creative Cloud 4.8.2.476

PLEASE ESCALATE!

• Gregory Mills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is also happening with my smaller projects with about 30-40 artboards. I'm not a fan. Can there a be an update to allow users to turn off the auto save function on each project?

• AdminRakesh Lal (Software Engineer, Adobe) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Doris,

Sorry to hear that you are facing this issue with XD. If you could share few information, it will help us in recreating the issue as seen by you:
    1. What is the size of file you are using
    2. Hardware configuration of system (CPU, RAM, OS version)
    3. If you could share the file, that will help us in reproducing the issue quickly, as we wont have to recreate the file (please send the file at ralal_at_adobe_dot_com)

The suggestions on autosave to behave same as PS and Ai, can be added to the suggestions section. It will be prioritised and given right attention there.

Thanks,
    Rakesh Lal

• Doris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

feedback of when is saving too. like photoshop has and illustrator the percentages...

• Doris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

feedback of when is autosaving.. because the program stops, you can't even erase a thing, but you can still move it and nothing tell you why.. this is a guess that is autosaving

• Vertika Gupta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
    Sorry to hear it. Can you please let me know, Are you facing hang issue with all the large file or issue is specific to file in which you are working and is this issue happening 100% . Is it happening in all OS (WIN and MAC) and which version of XD you are working?

Thanks,
    Vertika Gupta
    Adobe XD

• fmckinney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agreed with this. XD is strongly marketing itself as a solution for large design systems. So I created a component library for our team, which has around 40 artboards and a few hundred symbols. Trying to manage this file makes XD basically unusable. Every time I make a small change, if I don't continue editing objects on the board (i.e. I'm scrolling to find another artboard for another change), suddenly Autosave kicks in and freezes XD for 2-4 minutes. Making it totally unusable. Driving me absolutely crazy.

• Omar Chelbat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First off, I think that autosave is great, but ...

When I am working in my file, which has just under 200 artboards, I might make a tiny edit say copy a group from 1 artboard to another, and mid edit it'll start saving, causing XD to freeze for a few seconds. So the autosave is interrupting my ability to do a simple task like renaming a group.

It's extremely frustrating that it happens while I'm working on it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base