Bug details

Making something a component ruins drop shadows and pixel to pixel alignment

COMPONENTS! Loving the idea...

...hating how it expands the component margins way beyond the actual shape or graphic. Making a duplicate of the master component turns the margin into a mask; THUS when you give the element a drop shadow... it gets clipped.

Why Adobe?

97 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Theunis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update on this fix being implemented? It's severely affected my team's projects. Every floating card component now has to be hand placed to the pixel to account for this bug and adjusted for resizing.

• Igor Glushchenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, are you serious? At least give us an option to install the previous version of XD so we can continue to work with large ongoing projects with lots of symbols as we used to before symbols became components.
    We can't use new components (not only drop shadows, but also stroke, text - I've attached the mess my button transformed to) and we can't use old symbols. If I wanted to crop something inside a component I'd apply a clipping mask to it's contents manually.

• Nope commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This bug is breaking whole components - one of the most important feature in adobe Xd yet u haven't fixed it. Congratz, it's truly "xD"

• NJA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with the below, there are too many bugs in the latest release to make it sustainable to work with Xd right now. I can't use components at all on a lot of sections in my designs because of this drop shadow clipping and because of the inability to amend component sizes.

I might as well use sketch or invision. Please consider a rollback or update us on the timescales for a fix.

• Igor Glushchenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sherif Assaf,
    The last time I had a problem with major bugs not fixed quick in Adobe software because of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. It was their fault and they offered an option to roll back to the previous version (which I did immediately) and continue working without any bugs.
    Now it's definitely by your fault and we don't have an option to roll back.
    Please, resolve this issue asap.

• Zach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will this be fixed? There have been two updates since this was acknowledged as a bug with nothing yet -- it's a really huge issue and should be pretty high on the list, but I haven't seen or heard any estimate on when we should expect a fix.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sherif,

Please address this other bug. It is absolutely a showstopper. It makes components completely unusable. Fixing the bounding box with shadows still isn't going to make components usable if you the bounding box does not resize to changes in content size within the component:

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353010-adobe-xd-bugs/suggestions/37652191-can-t-make-a-component-element-bigger-than-existin

• RadekJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Sherif, much appreciated. Will the fix also include clipping the elements inside a component?

Please note that the issue is not just about the drop shadows. This even happens when different kinds of stroke positionings are used. If a stroke is positioned inside, the box will show the correct size, when turned into a component. However, any of the other two stroke positions ( center or outside ) change the sizing of the component. I've attached photos to explain this issue better.

• Bryce Flynn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, drop shadows are handled badly in components. There should NOT be a huge amount of extra padding around an object simply because it casts a shadow. Another example of a poorly conceived feature rolling without adequate thought or testing. If Adobe had kept symbols alongside components, users could at least have selected which to use. Instead, everything with a shadow got broke when converted to a component.

This bug is hugely problematic. All the symbols that we created in previous documents are components now, and as a result, all the spacings are messed up. Therefore, editing previously created designs is a nightmare.
    Symbols were powerful elements that we would use in our design process all the time. But, with this bug, we can't use this feature anymore for god knows how long, which has a substantial negative impact on our productivity.
    We were thrilled when we learned the new component feature was introduced, but this has turned out to become very disappointing.

• Stephen S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe:

Master component and Component Instances must both, at the very least, maintain flexible/editable bounding boxes.

It is of no use to attempt to edit a component to expand its style/aesthetics with backdrop effects or fundamentally resize its children primitives if the original bounding rect cannot either automatically update to accommodate them, or be modifiable to incorporate the changes manually.

Equally as debilitating is the inability to edit these bounding boxes on a per-instance basis. If I need to change a component instance's width, because its text label is unique for every instance, I need to be able to manually edit the individual elements within that component instance, and have the bounding rect match those modifications.

There is no practical use-case scenario I can think of where modifying the entire component instance by its bounding box is a sufficient solution, particularly when the author has no control or understanding of how the software 'responsively' handles placement and sizing of its individual elements.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base