Andrew Gordon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Igor Glushchenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this bug is almost the same one with drop shadows in components (it will crop shadow if you first create a component and add shadow to some of it's objects after).
    I don't know how symbols are handled in Sketch or Invision Studio (haven't tried them) but I really like how symbols work in Adobe Illustrator.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this bug not fixed??????????????????????? It's been almost a month and nothing from Adobe. WTF?

With introducing components I was hoping that you will add similar aproach as is in Sketch with rich overriding capabiliies but this bug makes Components painfull element in my workflow.
    Sketch handles symbols so much better.

• NJA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How have you not even acknowledged this is a bug!? It's still not fixed in the latest release?!

This makes components pointless, as you have to make a new one if you want to change them. Totally defeats the point.

• Thierry Lemaitre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That will be useful with buttons! Because sometime the text in a duplicate component is longer than the original component so the text and the background is crop :/

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue! The bounding should also reduce to the object within, currently it leaves excess bounding. This isn't working as expected, hope it gets fixed in the next update.

One workaround for this issue is using the manual constraints in the responsive resizing panel. For example, if you have a box component with two rows of information, and you want to increase the height of the box to add another row, follow the following steps:

1. Select the already existing contents and group them.
    2. Fix them on top and left side, using the constraints in the manual resizing panel.
    3. Click out of the component
    4. Drag the bottom edge of the box to increase its' height.
    5. Add your third row inside the box

I know this is not the ideal way of resizing the components. However, I thought it may help someone while waiting for a fix.

• Stephen S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Components as a working concept is utterly pointless given its current behavior. What is the point of creating a component that requires flexibility of its most basic and fundamental properties such as dimensions, if it requires that all instances which require an adjustment in dimensions to be unlinked from the master component to accommodate that adjustment?

You know what would be really useful? Some sort of engine that would allow me to create rules around certain elements contained within the component relative to its siblings.

For instance, if i have a block of text that is enveloped by a box with a border, I would really love to say component "BorderedText" should have the text's width expand the box's width by textWidth + x, and text should always be placed N pixels to the right of right bounds of box.

Yeah that sounds a lot like implementing some sort of box model associations within components...

At the very least, the Component's bounding box needs to be editable both from its master, but also for any of its instances.

Until this is fixed, theres really no point in making components for things like buttons, tags, input fields, etc. All of which require some variance of dimensions given the content or label which it may contain.

• NJA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone please update this ticket?!

It's breaking my workflow completely.

It's also an issue when making items smaller - the component boundaries remain the same even when empty.

• Robert Davlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My work-around:
    Enter edit mode.
    Select all (CMD+A). Group (CMD+G). Copy (CMD+C)
    Exit edit mode.
    Paste (CMD+V) and align item to original items. Then Cut (this step was to make sure it pastes later on exactly where you want it)
    Scale the component up (I realize you don't want them all scaled up, just bear with me)
    Go into edit mode.
    Select all. Create group.
    Paste clipboard (this should place your original items right where you wanted them)
    Select the scaled up group and delete it. (The scaled up version pushed the boundaries outward and now we are done with it.)
    Now the component boundaries are expanded and you can paste new items and they will be included in the master component.

Did this work for you too?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base