Bug details

Undo (cmd + z) stops working

I have discovered that the undo function (cmd + z) stops working in XD after I have worked on a document for a while. Things that I typically undo is positioning of elements. Undo starts working again if you quit and reopen XD.

This has happened a few times the last week.

Environment details:
- macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
- Adobe XD version 11.0.22.10

28 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ole Fredrik Lie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vlad Malik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, everything works fine except the undo stops working. Also I noticed something similar with Copy and/or Paste but I'm not 100% on that. Undo for sure, without impacting keyboard overall (I can still type text, etc).

• Darunee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to have the "History" panel like what's in Photoshop? Soon? Please. Thank you.

• Preston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have come across this as well. Hard to figure out what causes it because I don't know its disabled till I go to use it. I will try and pay more attention to it./

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue. Not even 2 minutes into XD and all my keyboard shortcuts stop functioning. Please fix this asap, encountering this issue so many times hinders my productivity greatly.

• Vaishnav S R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@admin Facing the same issue. Kindly fix. Works after minimizing and reopening the application most of the times. There is no way to go to edit and undo it manually because the menu bar is not present in the windows version.

• Muhammad Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue with me. I dont know what happened. It was working fine earlier now space key, undo they dont work. I restarted XD lost all my progress and after few minutes this problem occurred again.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I encountered this issue many times. It's not just the undo shortcut, it's all of the shortcuts. sometimes even editing the text would face a similar issue.

A quick workaround I found was to switch focus to another app then switch to xd again, or alt+tab 2 times.

• Anna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same problem. Went to the menu (thought it may have had something to do with the shortcut) and it keep showing "Undo Nudge Down". Seems like its not tracking the actions we make. ?

I'm on Mojave 10.14 and my XD is on version 12.0.12.10

• Ron Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, but it's not Microsoft. It happens on my Mac as well. Restarting the app makes Undo work again, but you still have to manually correct whatever it is you want to Undo. Plus, since XD has no settings for reopening the documents that were last opened, you have to manually do that as well. It is NOT a work around. It's just a temporary bandaid for a really bad bug.

• Armando Scuro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I accidently deleted an element, and clicking 'cmd+z' doesn't undo the deletion of the element, but it does undo all stuff before that. It's like it skipped that action, and no matter how much i undo or redo it doesn't bring the element back.

But do note, that at no point did it stop working, it kept undoing, just not the last action i took

• Armando Scuro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I accidently deleted an element, and clicking 'cmd+z' doesn't undo the deletion of the element, but it does undo all stuff before that. It's like it skipped that action, and no matter how much i undo or redo it doesn't bring the element back.

But do note, that at no point did it stop working, it kept undoing, just not the last action i took

• Karanvir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Nina The menu items continue to work normally, it's just the keyboard shortcuts. Is it a problem with UWP apps in general?

• Hugo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Nina,

On Windows, there is no undo item in the menu. (always!) It's not the same as on MAC.. very strange.

The file had been open for about two hours. But I have kept files open for days with no issue. Also, I don't understand how restarting fixes the issue. Do you mean it doesn't happen if the application is restarted every couple hours? Or do you mean when that when it was restarted, the user was able to go back through the Undo stack successfully. If you mean the former (which I presume you do) then that's not exactly fixing the problem. Also, I have not changed my way of working with XD since I started using it the week you launched the first beta publicly. Lastly, I have only noticed this particular issue in recent weeks. I work in XD about 25 hours / week. And I often leave it open overnight.

Yeah, this has totally been happening to me as well. Perhaps just in the last version or two, but not for a long time before that. I think it has happened about four times in the past couple weeks.

Just now, I simply moved a symbol that contained about 20 elements to the left an inch or two by mistake so it was partially off my artboard. Then I moved another element or two. When I went to undo back to the point where the symbol was back on the artboard (about 3 steps or so), my undo skipped over the step where I had moved that symbol. I went back and forth with undo and redo thinking I was imagining things — as you do — but nope. The undo stack simply broke and I had to "rebuild." This all took place in a matter of 10 seconds. It's just that the undo stack seems to have broken like this several times lately. And it really needs to be fixed.

There is nothing unusual about my file and the undo stack seems to break at random. I can't repeat it.

XD 11.0.22.10
        CC Sync 3.1.0.8
        macOS Sierra, 10.12.6,
        MBPro Mid 2015 + 32" Acer external monitor

• Hugo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue on PC.

-XD V.11.0.22.10 (and all previous versions for a year)
        -Win 10 Pro 64bit
        -It happens with any files but I dont shut down or restart my system very often.. the same file can be open over a week..
        -No sure exactly what triggers this issue.. it doesn't happen every 4 hours, I'd say every 2 weeks approx

Closing and reopening the file do fix the problem.

• Karanvir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on Windows 10 and have experienced this with recent builds on multiple machines. For me, the Ctrl, Alt, and Del keys become unresponsive. If I switch to another application, hit the Ctrl key and switch back to XD, it starts working again. I'm currently on XD version 11.0.22.10 running on Windows 10 1803 build 17134.112.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base