Batch export (shift+ctrl+E) - happening nothing.
Selected (ctrl+E) - Exporting just if you select an object or artboard
All artboards - exporting just if you selected an artboard.
Over all: selecting one by one all artboards than ctrl+E exports all artboards, so in this case what is the difference between the tree different exporting types?
Once you select at least two artboards and export them this is also a BATCH export.
In older version if you simply hit the ctrl+E keys you had automatically the export all artboards. If you had selected ONE artboard or one or more object and pressed ctrl+E you exported that artboard or that objects without any other complication. It was really intuitive and simply not like now.
So dear Adobe please bring it back the export function how it was two versions earlier.
1. The main benefit of using batch export is that you can mark the items that you export often and then keep working on improving your design. Then, at any point, you can export again the set of marked items without having to go through your layers/artboards and select them again. The `marked` status of a layer is also preserved when saving and reopening the .xd file.
You are correct that the end result of marking for batch export or manually selecting them is the same. Batch export was added as an additional way of achieving this workflow and also for the benefit of 3rd party applications that can integrate with XD (Zeplin, Avocode, Sympli, Kite Compositor, Protopie). You can read more about this at https://helpx.adobe.com/in/xd/help/export-design-assets.html
2. In previous versions, Ctrl+E was able to predict what type of export you wanted based on the document contents and your selection because there were fewer export options. As we are adding more and more features to XD (and there is more to come in this area), having just a single point of entry for all of these was no longer a reliable way of making sure XD is doing what you wanted it to.
I will however pass on your feedback to our product management team so they can evaluate it and figure out the best way to move forward so users can get the best possible experience out of Adobe XD.
Thanks again and have a nice day,
Norbert Kucsera commented
Thank you for your reply!
1. Batch export
Thank you for explaining how to use the batch export.
Can you explain what is the difference between batch export (after selecting which elements to be batch exported) and ctr+E?
In batch export, you need to go to layers and click the batch export icons to be selected elements for batch export. Then set the type of export (PNG, JPG, PDF etc.)
You can select multiple elements and then export them pressing the shortcut keys CTRL+E than select the export type (PNG, JPG, PDF etc.)
The results are same! I tried and don't find any differences between the two methods. Only one difference is that extra effort to clicking the "batch icon" in layer panels.
2. All artboards
Yes its fine but need that extra effort to go menu->Export->All artboards.
In the past, this was a very simple move with the shortcut CTRL+E in case you had selected nothing you exported all the artboards.
Actually, CTRL+E shortcut does nothing if you pressing. It works just in case you have something selected.
So, my main observation is the CRTL+E works way better in older versions like now. You had the possibilities to export all the artboards or all the selected elements just with ONE shortcut with no need to do anything else in layers panel or to go to the menu->export section. Just one shortcut for all these different export types/methods.
Thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate it.
I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding with regards to how the new export feature works, let me try to explain it by addressing each of your concerns:
1. Batch export (shift+ctrl+E) - happening nothing:
Batch export simplifies and streamlines the process of identifying and then exporting selected assets. This is especially useful when you need to export them to third-party tools or share with developers. Simply mark objects by clicking the mark icon on the layer panel then selecting “Batch” option under File > Export.
The mark icon is available in the layers panel or via the context menu in the layers panel: http://sympli-blog-content.s3.amazonaws.com/dev/2018/Jan/export_icon-1516118233987.jpg
2. Selected (ctrl+E) - Exporting just if you select an object or artboard
Correct. This will always export the selected items (if any).
3. All artboards - exporting just if you selected an artboard.
This will export all artboards if the current document contains artboards. There is no need for the artboards to be selected.
4. Over all: selecting one by one all artboards than ctrl+E exports all artboards, so in this case what is the difference between the tree different exporting types?
There is no need to select the artboards prior to using Ctrl+E.
I hope this helps and I would really appreciate to hear about your experience with the new export feature once you get the hang of it.