Bug details

Font Awesome 5 intergration

I have just installed Font Awesome 5 (FA5) fonts for desktop. It doesn't show icons in XD (latest update to date), only text.
I type "tags", choose FA5 from font menu and it remains in text format - "tags", doesn't transform in tags icon, as it's supposed to do.

FA5 works in Illustrator and Photoshop.
I am also using Material Icons (MI), Google's ligature based icon font, and it works in XD. Font Awesome 4 (FA4) also works in XD (not ligature).

Any solution on this?
The reason I would love to switch to another ligature based icon font is because MI doesn't render on XD mobile app during USB connected mobile preview. I would like to try and see if FA5 renders on mobile app preview.

11 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Harun Alikadić shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Harun Alikadić commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the latest XD update it doesn't work again. Only if I copy Unicode Glyph from Fontawesome website and paste it in the text area, then it renders as icon. It pastes first as this squared question mark and then it renders to the icon.
        I have also opened old XD files with FA5 icons and now they all are plain texts. So, if I have to make changes in old designs I have to reset all icons first, by copying glyphs fro FA website.
        It looks like bug, because it worked before.

• Kaue Lima commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First of all, I did not know if I should register this as a bug or a feature, I came to a conclusion that it's a bug because it is not working as it was probably intended.

On XD, when I type the name of a font the field gives me the best answer but does not help if the match was not on point.

On Photoshop and others, I'm able to type the name of a font and arrow up or down to select other suggestions. This is not the case in XD.

Real world example: I use a font awesome pro license on my designs. The new version lets me type the name of an icon and it is converted to its graphic version as a ligature. The problem is that "Font Awesome Brands" is the first family that matches the "Font Awesome" search and not "Font Awesome Pro" as I usually need.

• Sylvain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or at least, introduce the same feature as photoshop : turn a font into a vector shape ! ;)

• Sylvain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello there,

You made a great job by using Typekit on the XD mobile app, now on my mobile device I can see my classic custom font with the XD app (not the preview mod, the real app).

I use Fontawesome font for my icons in my app design. On XD on the web preview it works fine.

But when I use the XD mobile app it doesn't worka anymore... it's very annoying because I can't make a demo of my design on my mobile (I can use a web browser but it's not the best, specialy on iOS because I can't hide the browser's nav bar).

Unfortunatly, we can't always work with open and free fonts, and when I want to show and test my app design in real conditions... it's a fail.

Please, can you improve again the fonts integration in the XD mobile app ?

• Sunday Coulter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a similar issue where it is not loading the Font Awesome Font, even though it is clearly active in other programs. We use Extensis Universal Type Server/Client to manage our fonts. I have used the font in my design but when I open the document it says missing fonts. It only happens sometimes, which is also strange. I am using the most recent version of Font Awesome Pro FYI.

• Kejun Xu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I have tried restart my computer and re-launch XD. Neither works. A couple of folks on the design/product team are experiencing the same issue.

Thanks for your attention!

Kejun

• Kejun Xu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having similar issues. Upgraded to FA5 and cannot load FA icons any more in XD. Works in AI.

Mac v10.13.3 (17D47)

FA is extremely helpful please fix thank you!

• Florian Monfort commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem at the moment. Just updated to Font Awesome 5, and now they do not show anymore.

Feedback and Knowledge Base