Bug details

Exported SVG does not import into Illustrator

Whenever I open the SVG exported from Xd in illustrator it gives unexpected results, and specifically in illustrator the gradients get rasterised and black patches appear in place of the gradient . Ideally, a vector file like SVG exported from Xd should open the same way as it opens in Xd but when I open the file the gradient information is lost.

2 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chetan Kumar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Melissa Brown Blaeuer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this is a surprising and frustrating bug. I would expect Adobe Illustrator to handle the nested layers created in Adobe XD. It's kind of shocking that Illustrator returns this cryptic, ungrammatical error message every time I open an SVG file exported from XD -- "The following items could not be imported properly: Clipping will be lost on roundtrip to Tiny There are too many nested groups that allowed in Illustrator. The file may not open correctly."

The appeal of adopting Adobe XD over Axure RP and other interaction design software is the expected roundtrip editing and compatibility across the Adobe CC product suite. Not only is it difficult to learn to create vector artwork in XD with its severely limited toolset (compared to Illustrator, which is far more robust), and dramatic rebuilt from the ground up, but I can't easily save out and work with the assets I create with it, especially sliced bits for developers. It's ridiculous that every instance of a symbol exports in a Batch Export.

It is also expected that Adobe has a mature understanding and relationship with the design community. It is part of Adobe's legacy and brand. To start doing new software development and design that is not backwards compatible is a branching away from this core benefit and presumption that reduces the product proposition to the level of any other newcomer.

After exploring workflow scenarios including 1) working in XD, versus 2) working in Illustrator and exporting to XD or Axure just for the interactivity -- I'm much more inclined towards #2. I can export from Illustrator more cleanly, and I know the software and the sheer power of the tool for creative design.

Feedback and Knowledge Base