Bug details

Proper Object Alignment

I often find that when trying to align objects, shapes or even text, no matter what I try, the object won't align to the same edge as something else, despite being the EXACT same width. This is really really annoying, as it's not an issue at all in InDesign or Illustrator. It's the only thing I don't like about XD.

When will this issue be fixed?

14 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew Sipe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently noticed this when trying to align a 280px wide line with a 2px stroke to a 56px high x 280px wide box with no stroke. The stroked line would align below the box, but it was offset to the right by 2 px. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to align perfectly to the center of the box.

So, I created a 2px high box x 280px and aligned it to the 56px high box. It centered to the box, but it aligned above the bottom line, instead of below it.

Link to Screenshot PNG:
        https://goo.gl/xSyCj2

• John L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also experiencing this - I believe MaMaLy is on the right track. When trying to vertically and horizontally center align objects that aren't pixel perfect like an 18.76px x 18.76px square with a 11.83px x 11.83px circle, they seem to be snapping to the nearest pixel, not to each other, which is visibly off-center.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here little more details about above mentioned bug, if one element's x position is 155 and than draw line and line's x position is 155.5. In this case alignment tool will not proper align both objects. There could be many scenario for above mentioned bug.

• MaMaLy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree- I'm still seeing this issue. For example, make a simple icon for "stop recording" by putting a small square inside a circle. If you use the center align tools to put the square inside the middle of the circle, and then measure, (or rotate and then realign to test if the square moves) you'll find that the square isn't actually in the center of the circle. I believe this is due to attempting to snap objects to a grid (that the user doesn't have control over) and having issues with any objects that aren't perfect round pixel measurements. For example, I did this test with a 20px square inside a 50px circle and it worked perfectly. But when the square is 21.67, the alignment tools don't actually center it in the circle. It seems to center it to the nearest pixel, which is visibly off-center.

• Joshua Reach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been any progress on fixing this issue? It's kind of a big deal when you're trying to properly align elements and they're...off. I'm on a Mac and using Version 7.0.12.9 of XD.

Feedback and Knowledge Base