Over 500% CPU usage when using cloud documents that share symbols
I have my design system file stored in cloud documents and syncs fine when it is open by itself. The trouble starts when I simultaneously have a separate XD document open using symbols from the design system file (in cloud documents) and something gets saved in the design system file CPU usage goes to like 500%+. If both files are local, this does not appear to be an issue.
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Hello! We believe this may be working better in our latest release, XD 19. Can you update and let me know how that goes?
Aaron Garrett commented
I'm unable to share my current project but I am able to replicate by doing the following.
1) Download Material Design stickersheet components and create several (maybe 10-20) nested symbols https://material.io/archive/guidelines/resources/sticker-sheets-icons.html. For fun, use some icon fonts in your nest symbols too just to keep things interesting.
2) Save the Material Design sticker sheet as your design system doc to Cloud Docs
3) Create a second XD file to use your Design System symbols and use as many of the symbols you can from the Material Design sticker sheet. (This can be local or in Cloud Docs)
4) Go back to the Material Design stickersheet components make some changes.
5) When the update is occurring in the background or when you click the update button on your second document that uses linked symbols, watch the CPU usage.
This seems to be worse the more the symbols are used especially when you have many artboards. I was able to replicate this with 12 artboards.
Note: Where I started with this was from here: https://theblog.adobe.com/how-to-build-a-single-source-of-truth-with-adobe-xd