Reusable symbols / master objects
It would be very helpful to have symbols in order to have reusable elements that can be updated in one place and have those edits instantly take effect in all instances/artboards in the design.
I’m happy to say you can now use symbols in the November release of Adobe XD!
Thanks to everyone who voted on this — it honestly does make a difference in making this happen sooner.
There are lots of ways we could expand on this initial set of symbol features. Please let us know your opinion by upvoting follow-up suggestions like these:
- Different text, color, or other properties in some copies of the symbol (like editing text in a Repeat Grid, for example): https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/13675224-override-text-color-etc-on-a-symbol
- Different size for some copies of the symbol: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/16939339-scale-resize-symbols-individually
- Interactions/wires on objects inside symbols: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/16943800-allow-interaction-wires-links-from-objects-inside
- States the symbol can switch between (like a UI component): https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/13031871-add-multiple-states-inside-symbols
- Reorganize your list of symbols: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/16933993-label-and-reorganise-symbol-library
- Share symbols across documents or within a team (via CC Libraries, for example): https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007/suggestions/12930321-cc-library-support-share-symbols-assets
And as always, feel free to file new suggestions if you have other ideas that aren’t posted in UserVoice yet!
It would be awesome if symbols could else inherit prototyping behavior. For example if I create a symbol from a live feed button which in prototype view triggers a navigation to a player screen placing that symbol elsewhere will also trigger the same action.
+1 it will be helpfull for menu, footer etc
yep, overrides essential too.
I agree this would really make this app our first go-to.
Yoav Chen commented
Must also include overrides - selective attributes that do not sync.
I hope this will include interactions as well? Such as a header icon always opening a main menu without the need to manually recreate that behaivour on all screens.
Dominik Levitsky commented
Probably the best way to do this is like these guys did: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/298226251/subform-a-modern-tool-for-digital-product-designer?ref=user_menu
Painfully, painfully overdue... Sob sob.... (Of course, as mentioned, this symbol must contain options to have a set prototype link too)
When will this feature be released?
Lior Bar-David commented
I find this interesting, is there any discussion happening about creating templates? Something that would include header and footer symbols? Just a thought, I know it's really the only way to go when developing a product, thought it could be interesting.
I agree with Joel Cory – not only are symbols a must-have for navigation elements, but the need to maintain their links. On the big project I'm using XD for now, I feel like all of the time I saved in using XD is being lost by editing/relinking navigational elements.
Hugo Tognolo commented
This is major guys, please do it!
Edwin Delgado commented
Yes please. It's painful to have to update all artboards if you're making just 1 change.
Joel Cory commented
YES! Now that I have been doing all my work with XD, editing prototypes is a real pain...
One change to a navigation element, oh boy, delete and start all over.
Another important issue: Symbols will need to mantian their links to artboards. Relinking is horrible.
AHMED TELLEZ RIVERA commented
Great feature to get. Also the scalable symbols and multi state buttons as in flash.
Joachim Tillessen commented
I think this feature has already been requested:
Prasad Boominathan commented
Predefined / Customizable containers like Grids, Cards, Menu patterns can be added
Can't wait for this feature to be implemented. I am sure this is one of the many reasons there is no beta (preview) version for PC.
I am eagerly waiting for the PC version! I only have a Mac at work.
We need an option to create objects, groups, or links for common content just like Photoshop does it for Headers, Navigation, Footer, or any linked object. For those who don't know what I am referring to, a good example is if you change/update content on your navigation, it will update on all your artboards for that same element
This is a valuable and useful feature for everyone building prototypes as it will cut down design time big time!
Please vote for this very important feature.
DUPLICATING A PAGE
When ALT-Drag to duplicate the page, the elements in the page can be converted to symbol so that any changes made in the Cloned page will get reflected in the original source also.
-User should also have the flexibility to break the symbol as such
Why this is valuable?
Currently we need to update all the pages, if any global change.