Request details

2,347 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

jsprlprd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
feature-completed  ·  AdminElaine (Adobe) (Product Manager, Adobe) responded  · 

As you’ve probably noticed, we’ve delivered Layout Grids in the November release of XD. We’d love specific feedback on Layout Grids as we continue to grow, so I’m closing this feature request. If you have specific additional functionality you’d like to see in the Layout Grid feature, please do file it as a new feature request in the Design feature area!

Thanks,

-Elaine

309 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Toon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be very happy if we only had the same 'New Guide Layout' option that is available in Photoshop. It would make life and designing in XD so much easier.

• Pepijn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apart from lacking this feature XD works soooo much nicer than Sketch so I'm kinda itching in anticipation for this feature to appear...as does the whole team of ux-ers over here. I sure hope Elaine's message bodes well.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its really a necessary feature nowadays to have the possibility to create a layout grid and define margins and columns. Also objects should snap to the grids.

• Justin Cone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Callin: Just because something is grounded in print legacy doesn't mean it has no value. Grid systems themselves are based on design systems devised for print.

I see no reason we can't have both rulers/guides *and* an intelligent grid system.

• Calin Balea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We shouldn't use guides or rules. That's a print legacy we used for so long as a compromise. The right way is how Figma or Adobe Muse can setup layout grids. If you can build on Figmas' concept and add max-width and min-width properties, it will be perfect.

One thing I urge you NOT to do is take from UXPin's example which has a stupid, broken layout grid tool.

This is an essential feature that keeps me from using XD for any design. I can't see how a professional, qualified designer could layout an interface without a proper grid system.

• Stephanie Raishe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Justin Cone has a point & describes what's needed perfectly. I constantly use the rulers and guides in other programs, so it's a pain to still be drawing rectangles everywhere to measure things out.

• Justin Cone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not trying to troll here; I'm genuinely confused. This feature request been "in the backlog" for almost a year. Other features that are currently being worked on seem either trivial or far more complicated.

We're asking for rulers and guides. These are standard things in nearly every other Adobe app. You don't need to "design this feature," just open Illustrator or Photoshop and copy what you see there.

Would we love a full-blown grid generator? Sure. But we'll settle for RULERS and GUIDES for now.

By the way, this is the single feature that keeps me using Sketch.

• Ivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WOW...I just realized it's been almost a year since I up-voted this feature.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

QUOTE on 11 AUGUST 2016 :

"We are currently designing this feature and planning to pickup this work soon. It’s high on the list for us."

22 MAY 2017 STILL NO RULERS and GUIDES............ and you want us to use XD over sketch...

• Roland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd rather work with Adobe XD than with Sketch. But without a grid system it is impossible. That can not be that hard. Come on guys!

This software is unusable without this feature. Every design starts with me setting my layout columns. I will not move from Sketch until this feature is implemented.

• Thomas Hallgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Taking a long time, so please get it right. I have to create my own grids and lock the elements. A hassle to say the least.

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried XD today for a new web design project. It's completely impossible to use without a grid or guides. It's like I've gone back in time 15 years and I'm just randomly guessing where to place stuff like an amateur.

I can't even begin to look at this without rulers and grids - i keep checking back to see it its worth a look but not even a ruler?

Feedback and Knowledge Base