Relinking assets functionality
I have two XD files. One is for Symbols and one is for Exploration with linked assets to the Symbol file. Recently I cleaned up my Symbol file and renamed it with a new version number. Today I realized that my links are going back to the old file Symbol file (which makes sense logically) but is not what I want.
Not sure what I want here but few suggestions:
- clearer overview where the linked files are coming from
- possibility to relink
- when saving a copy of a file, perhaps ask what to do
Adding to this: It would be great to be able to right click a component, and then click "set as master" when you're in the master-file. This way I can choose which version of a specific component is regarded as the master component. For example, i can have an artboard with a design containing some buttons that are components, and then i have another artboard where i have a collection of all my components. If the master component is the one on the first artboard, i want to be able to choose the version that is on the "collection" arboard as the master component.
Thanks for Requesting new Features! Your understanding of current functionality is correct. We are considering this new feature. To anyone else who is interested: please add your vote and any details of how you would like it to work.
Here's how you can workaround this for now:
1. Start by making a backup copy of your Symbols file (to be safe) using Save As in XD.
2. Use Manage Links... (from Welcome screen, Share menu, or Mac File menu) to see your Creative Cloud files online (or go to assets.adobe.com)
3. Click Files in left column, then Cloud Documents tab at top, and find the Symbols file.
4. Select checkbox on Symbols file and click Delete icon in upper right corner to *temporarily* delete file.
5. Go back to XD, open file that's Linked to Symbols file.
6. Notice in Assets Panel that link icons on assets are now "broken" (i.e. red).
7. There are 2 options at this point from context menu for each asset:
7a. "Relink" to the Copy of Symbols file
7b. "Make Local" each asset to convert current file to a new Symbols file.
Step 7b generates different internal IDs for each asset (where as Save As re-uses original internal IDs) which is necessary if you ever want to have a file Link to both old and new Symbol files.
Note 1: In step 7, you can multi-select each type (Symbols (now, Components), Colors, Character Styles) to make this easier.
Note 2: After resolving all "broken" links, you can then go back to assets.adobe.com Deleted page and Restore the Symbols file you deleted.
Whew! Hope this helps,
All I want is the ability to relink the components to a different master file. This file would be a copy of the original master that can then be edited separately.
Working with a whitelabel product, rebranding files for our clients require new formatting set. And the only way I know how to relink a file is if I break the link of the first one in the first place.
There's also the case of creating backups of my files, I would like then to be able to relink it to correct one.