Request details

Overlay positioning below "fold"

I would like to be able to position an overlay so that it is connected to a specific element regardless of whether that element is below the "fold". For tooltip, dropdown menus, and other interactive elements, overlays are awesome. However, in doing responsive design work for enterprise applications, there are many instances where a dropdown or tooltip will appear below the fold.

161 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sabin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this cannot possibly be working as intended. We need to be able to place overlay animations wherever we need on a page not just above the fold

This is a bug, I simply want to put a filter area below the fold so it can be used when the filter come into view?

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this feature, just spent time preparing multiple artboards for a tab prototype before I realized it couldn't be done

• lesleys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please make this a priority....it is soooo frustrating!

• Katia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried the workaround mentioned below, but it's glitchy and unreliable. XD needs to fix this issue, so simulation of a web page can be done properly

Should be noted though, as a workaround for this I found that I can temporarily set the viewport height (in Design mode) to include my overlay and move the overlay where it should go (in Prototype mode). Then I can go back to my Design mode and set the viewport height where I actually want the fold. Seems it works in this order...at least for me just now.

This is a bug, not a feature and should be prioritized as such. The placement of the overlay element should have NOTHING to do with the fold. Insane if it was actually designed this way. I should not have to spend time asking for every little tiny thing, but every day I search for answers to my XD questions and alas find myself on these forums with the rest of the choir having to ask for the basics.

Overlays that stay connected to an object on the artboard, regardless of if it's above or below the fold is an absolute necessity if you want to emulate a web page! Either that or create a drop down list box control!

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this is really strange behaviour - overlays should be allowed to be placed below the fold. Also the fact they're not 'fixed' in place is also weird - you can trigger one, and then scroll the page away from it - not at all how these elements would behave in a web environment for example.

• Shaun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the main reasons I'm still using In Vision. I don't want to , but I regularly have menus, modals, tooltips etc that need to appear anywhere on the page. Limiting this to above the fold is bizarre.

• Niels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with the above statements. In addition - I'm trying to do a simple button drop-down / tooltip type design, and because the overlay feature is absolute positioned, it moves away from button/area. The option to have it relative to an actionable area would be very helpful.

• Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, not being able to add in an overlay below the fold is stupid as you might have a one-page website design which has lots of content below the fold but you are unable to overlay items there which is not useful at all..

Overlay is an awesome feature but it is currently limited...another great idea for overlays is a time to only display an overlay over a screen for a certain length of time would also be great

• Josh Weston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Agreed. This would be very useful when designing dashboards that require dropdowns/drilldowns.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base