Request details

Update interaction wires across symbols (keep in sync)

Adding a wire to an object inside a symbol or changing a wire inside a symbol should create/change the same wire/link across other instances of that symbol in the same way styles/text etc changes other instances.

This would allow navigation to be edited throughout a project.

I love the convenience of symbols, and I love that we can now add links to objects within a symbol, but not being able to propagate that interaction to other symbols is a problem for me.

342 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom Fletcher-Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

104 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would really love a fix for this ahead of any new features. Please push this up the priority ladder.

• TDH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be added as a feature ASAP. I'm very annoyed that Adobe can't manage something as basic as this -- no, worse than annoyed. Not supporting "hover" interactions is annoying. Not being able to create a basic navigation menu that works across artboards is straight-up BROKEN and is the main reason we're considering switching our design process to a different tool entirely.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperate for this... Even if it was master component dictates master linkage across all artboards - this would be a life-saver...

• MaMaLy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While we wait for this, here's a workaround. You simply link up a component, and while in prototype mode you copy, and then select all the artboards where you want it pasted, and then paste. It pastes the component in place on all artboards at once with all prototype links intact. The only PITA part of this is that you have to remember to do that again every time you make a change, and if you have a different on-state visual for each link those would have to be updated per instance (or else maintain a different master component for each on-state.)

This should not be considered an XD dead end.

• Aaron Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this happen. I have to manually update every single link on every instance of a component. This is ridiculous.

• Jackson Beale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just hit a complete dead end with XD as a result of this functionality not being available with no real work around.... This would be a highly valuable enhancement. 100% necessary.

• Jason Quiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The best way that I have found to achieve this is to copy the Component (formerly Symbol) when in prototype mode. Then when you past it on a new artboard (and I believe duplicate an artboard) all the prototype links are preserved.

Things do get wonky with navigations, when you start on one board (A) that links to (A, B, C & D). When you paste from A to B. Then copy from B to C... the component on C will no longer link to B. Because the Component kills links that try to link to the same artboard.

• Parick Graf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was testing Adobe XD (against Invision Studio and Framer, 2 tools that we actually use). Working on a mobile App with a stick to bottom navigation and about 30 screens. I create a component from the bottom navigation, with 4 links to the first page of each of the 4 App sections.

If I drag the component from the left panel to a page, the links are lost.
    If I duplicate a page containing the symbol, the links are lost.
    If I copy-paste the symbol from a page to another, the links are OK.

I did these test in Design mode and in Prototype mode

I did the test by creating the symbol:

- once from an artboard
    - once from outside any artboard

I think that having links in a symbol is a capital function (of a symbol!!!) and draging them to a page is normal behavior and the links should remain active!

Patrick

• sanil modi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In prototype mode, apart from wireframing an option of default wireframe can be included where we can define at once if we click this, it will guide us to a default page.
    Like if once I define home button to take me to Home screen, then I dont have to repeat the same task again and again.

In prototype mode, apart from wireframing an option of default wireframe can be included where we can define at once if we click this, it will guide us to a default page.
    Like if once I define home button to take me to Home screen, then I dont have to repeat the same task again and again.

In prototype mode, apart from wireframing, an option of default wireframe can be included where we can define at once if we click this, it will guide us to a default page.
    Like if once I define home button to take me to Home screen, then I don't have to repeat the same task again and again.

• Pierre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this feature — it would really accelerate my workflow!

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature seems basic. I can't understand why it wasn't created the same time Adobe added links to objects inside symbols. I spent about hour trying to make this work. I thought it was a bug and shocked to find out Adobe couldn't think that far ahead.

• Al commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Related to this – when creating a symbol that contains links and then subsequently reusing that symbol (i.e. dragging it onto an artboard), the links should remain. Currently, no links are retained. The only way to retain link is to copy/paste from one artboard to another.

• Panu Tunttunen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely need this one.

It is a PITA for me to update the navigation symbol linkings when the navigation itself changes. Or even when I forget to duplicate navigation symbol in prototype mode. The data concerning the linking should be included in the symbol --> so it should be an option to define in symbol that "keep linkings" or something.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base