Request details

Snap to Grid

just like in Illustrator, Set grid, turn it on, any move using mouse or kbd keys will always snap the move to the created grid. very impt for UX design work.

16 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

rom impas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    feature-needs-more-info  ·  AdminPeter Flynn (Admin, Adobe) responded  · 

Please let us know how you would like XD’s existing Grid snapping feature to be different.

Or if you’re having trouble just finding the Grid feature in XD, please let us know where you’d expect to find it in the UI.

Thanks!

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Katie Pandey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a fault in XD with fontawesome... you can't kern or use sub or super on a character - & the snap grid doesn't allow you to layer letters on shapes like an M on a circle. Can you fix this please.

• Karina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot find anything about grids or guides, even through 'Help' in menu bar. I would look for these under 'View' as in Ai or Ps. I would like the option to toggle "snap to grid" on and off. It's really annoying not being in complete control of the elements when I need to be. Per guides, though not really on topic, it would be nice to have sliding rule guides as you have in Ai and Ps. I have to create a column grid in Ai and import it before I can begin a project. This should be an unnecessary step.

• Nemanja Rauš commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really hard to get pixel perfect layout with this issue, I'd love to have the ability to turn this weird snapping permanently.

Please consider this for next update, it's more important than any feature you've included in updates so far...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I turn off snap to pixel PERMANENTLY?! Yes I can disable it when I start a new document but I dont want to. I NEVER use it, how do I disable it FOREVER?!

• Cy233 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I'd like to be able to a) select how many pixels it snaps to (including using the arrow keys - Shft should multiply that by a chosen factor e.g. 5 or 10) and b) I'd like to be able to turn snapping off for precise alignment. Holding down Cmd/Cntl key doesn't temporarily disable snapping for me.

In the interim, you can align elements precisely using the width/height and X/Y values if you use decimal placings (30.15 for instance). It's a hassle to get right, but it works. I've only used this for SVG, however. I'm not sure if this would effect the sharpness of other fomats???

• Andrei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could all be solved with a switch to enable or disable snap. It is frustrating not being able to get things perfect. If I resize an object it's all smooth, if I try to move it, it snaps.

I'm loving XD so far, but there are still loose ends to tie before catching up with Sketch.

Cheers

• rom impas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want "snap to grid" to be the same as Illustrator. when invoked/enabled, using the left/right/up/down kbd keys will always snap to grid.

yes, I know how to invoke "show grid" in XD but using the nav keys moves one pixel at a time. I have to manually select the object and move it. it looks like its snapping every 2 pixels. I have the grid set to 4px

• Lexi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we have an option to eliminate Snap to in Adobe XD? I do a lot of precision work and frequently can't line things up properly because of snapping — so the work looks sloppy. Very frustrating

• rom impas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, snap to grid should work with navigation kbd keys. this is a feature I used constantly.

• AdminRandy Edmunds (Admin, Adobe) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sorry to hear that grid snapping is not working as you expected.

The default grid size is 8px and the snapping threshold is 4px, so when using mouse to move at 100% zoom everything should snap. Have you changed grid size or are you zoomed in?

Currently, snapping doesn't occur when using navigation keys. How would you like that to work?

Thanks,
        Randy

Feedback and Knowledge Base