Request details

Nested Symbol Overrides: swap inner symbol in different copies of outer symbol

So I started playing with Symbols Override for the June Update, but I feel this feature is still a little limited to what we can do.

Like I want to create a master nav bar with active and default states. But the override doesn't allow me to have that flexibility.

Same thing applies to a tab bar for iOS apps.

Right now I feels this Symbols Override feature only works for Buttons when you want to keep the same button styling but have different text. Or maybe cards with bitmap images, but not in a repeated grid list view format.

279 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stevo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sketch is great at doing this. Being able to use a symbol/component like a default button, and changing the text or nested style with so much ease. XD Components /symbols still has a long way to go (even with its May 2019 update).

• Sombra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nested Symbols overrides like it is presented in Sketch App for Mac.

• Robbie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just started a new job that uses XD instead of Sketch. I'm already thinking of quitting because of the lack of basic functionality like this in XD. Not to mention not being able to select elements across multiple groups. How does anyone get any work done in this program!

Oh yes please add the same functionality as sketch does with nested symbols

OMGGGGG I really very very very need this........ why XD think it is worthless and still not care about this
    just tell us how many voice do you need???? I will ask very ux ui guys to help this out!

pleaseeeee it is very important feature.

• Chris Becker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The functionality to swap a symbol is there but not when that symbol is nested inside another symbol? this is really disappointing! There are so many instances where you just need to update or swap 1 instance of the symbol and to have to ungroup from the symbol and then re symbolize is such an unnecessary amount of interaction!

• Milana Stanic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be amazing to have nested symbols available and override active menu items, or whatever it is that just needs a color change for example.

• Kevin F.J. Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah right now XD is not a viable replacement for Sketch. The nested symbols in Sketch with overrides is vastly superior. Wish it wasn't the case - but it is what it is. XD has a long way to go before it can be my go to app for what I do in Sketch now.

• Steven Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the exact reason why when I presented Adobe XD to the team as our potential UX tool for 2018 it was shot down: "It is a great interface and fast but we can't move to XD until we have more control over symbols. Until then Axure and Sketch are the only tools that do what we need. However it would be better if we could do everything in Adobe XD as it is a joy to use"

Is there any update on this? Sad to see, that even they are hundreds of votes for this, it doesn't seems to be in the backlog so far :(

• Eugene Cyckowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, think we need more powerful symbol overrides and with the ability to swap out nested symbols. This is one of the features that is keeping me from leaving Sketch for XD.

• Luca Vavassori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in the exact same situation described by Souheil, a better way to manage symbol overrides would be really helpful.

• Souheil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually liked the earlier implementation of Symbols, where when you change something it changes all the Symbols. If I needed two different buttons, I would ungroup my Symbol, change it and save it as a different Symbol. Example: Button-Submit vs Button-Continue.

The new implementation is causing confusions in our team. Names are being changed while forgetting to Update All Symbols, and sometimes when we Update All Symbols it updates Symbols that were changed earlier for other reasons. It's becoming hard to manage the Symbols.

We sometimes create entire pages from nested Symbols, so when we make a change to it, it would reliably update all the duplicated pages. It worked great, the new Update All Symbols workflow limited this functionality.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base