Request details

Version Control - store history/timeline of revisions

It would be nice if there was a way to have multiple versions of a design living in one document. Right now we'll have a v1 wireframe and will be reviewing features for v2. I typically lock that version and then create a new file called v2 and start making changes. Would be nice if they could be linked somehow verses multiple file versions.

843 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Derek Heisler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

69 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Daniel Vianna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is going to be a life change.

One side note: Demian, queria dizer que voces estao fazendo um excellente trabalho. Apesar do Adobe XD ter menos features que o Sketch, e' muito melhor e tenho conviccao que vai passar na frente. Minha coworker de front-end aprendeu em 2 semanas, a minha produtivdade aumentou em 500%. O learning curve e' quase 0, e' a melhor interface que eu ja usei na vida, e olha que ja testei um bando de programa, 2D, 3D, audio, video, CAD.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like adobe XD.
        But because of no version control plugin,
        so i still use sketch with Abstract.
        Abstract really help to control version just like git.
        Maybe you can find partner like Abstract to make this feature together.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Damian, when can we use this control? Could we already use it in some beta verson somehow?

• tomekwsrod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alternates (also sometimes referred to as versions or branches) would allow to create variations on a single mockup design without adding more mockups to your project.

Creating alternates can be useful during the early design phase when exploring concepts and in later stages for reviewers to add their feedback and propose changes.

Some possible reasons for using alternates:

You want to create only one mockup per screen but have several ideas about each one.
        You want suggestions for design improvements but don’t want other people changing your mockups.
        You want to send your project around for feedback and track each person’s feedback individually.
        You want to try out new design ideas without including them in the mockups for the current release.

• Sam Van Royen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've seen the presentation and announcement of this feature over at Bump festival last year. Why is this still not here? This is one of many must haves.

• Elias Touil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if you want to use GIT, you can use the git lfs plugin

The repo/instructions are here
        https://github.com/git-lfs/git-lfs

disclaimer : You'll be able to push your .xd file, I don't know (yet) if the xd file format will allow you to use diff/merge

---------------------------------

wishes:
        The versionning system used in sketch is elegant, same as mac time-machine, you can interact with older files and you can copy-paste elements from older version to current version.

• Ian Armstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking at systems like Pics.io, Goabstract.com, and Plantapp.io - it's pretty clear that check-out + conflict resolution will be important features in this request.

I hope you have plans to replicate some of what they're doing? It would be a game-changer to have this in-app and with cross-platform compatibility (without bootstrapping off of Dropbox or Google Drive - since those tend to be blocked by a lot of enterprises).

• Shane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this something that is still actively being worked on and into a future release?
        Lots of people are doing it for Mac & Sketch, but there is very little/anything out there for us XD (Windows users).

For businesses wanting to employ a design system. Version control should be high on the list for designers and currently, it's a difficult landscape to navigate

In order to build a project/prototype easy to maintain I'm working with a single file per project.

However, it is very difficult to collaborate with the CC files as they have some random issues.

What if we had a versioning system integrated to Adobe XD?

It doesn't have to be too complex in first place but it could lead to a GREAT collaborative experience for Designers.

• Andre Navas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very important feature for collaborating with other designers and organizing versions of the same project.

Version Control! It's a must. I think this would be an important feature for XD. Another vote for it!

• Yasin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also welcome the github workflow. this would be more inline with the frontend workflow and closer to the devs …

Feedback and Knowledge Base