Request details

shadows, shadows, shadows, shadows

There are already a few requests about fundamental shadow implementation but seem to have gotten no attention. Without these in place it will be difficult to design today's interfaces in XD.

First: Shadow spread - positive and negative.

Second: Multiple Shadows on one object.

Third: Shadow is clipped by object - so that if the object has transparency the shadow isn't showing through it.

These are basic shadow capabilities on every other program and used daily by interface designers.

Negative spread is key. It will allow us to create these (see attachment) types of shadows without workarounds and is supported by CSS.

design by: Ranjith Alingal

138 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

james guest shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    action-required  ·  AdminElaine (Adobe) (Admin, Adobe) responded  · 

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally need inset shadows. One of the first things I tried to do was creating a form field with an inset shadow and couldn't. Seems pretty fundamental to UI design. Sketch have gotten shadows right, something along those lines will work perfectly.

Also needs multiple shadows. Basically anything I can do with CSS shadows, I want to be able to do in XD.

Is there any update on this??

• Igor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"inset" for box-shadow is very needed in XD. With x, y, blur and rgba.

• Ricardo M S Gomes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can already do the first one after select a object/shape on the appearance panel at the right side. The second and third one is a good idea and can be included as a plus on the shadow appearance.

Feedback and Knowledge Base