Request details

Photoshop's "Scrubby Zoom"

(Currently using Windows Beta Version: 0.6.8.6)
I've seen newer implementation of the Zoom tool updated for the Mac version.

However I don't think I've seen "Scrubby Zoom" implemented.

Currently many users don't use a track pad. Using a marque selection is a slower multi-step process to zoom. Using the mouse wheel to zoom also isn't nowhere as fast as the Photoshop's "Scrubby Zoom".

To see what I mean in Photoshop (Windows keyboard shortcut), hold CTRL + Space Bar, and use your mouse to left click & hold, and move from left to right. You'll see your document scrubby zoom, in a much faster, smoother, and instant way, to almost any zoom level.

53 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Harold shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrei I. Gere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think maybe what is requested here is something like Photoshop's Scrubby Zoom featured that allows a fairly smooth (and precise) way to zoom in and out of a document.

I agree this how I would expect XD to function as well. It would also be ideal if XD also supported flick panning like Photoshop, alongside the scrubby zoom.

Ever since these two features were introduced in PS quite a while ago, they've become indispensable features and it would be natural for them to be carried over in an environment like XD where panning and zooming are as normal as object selection.

• Arvid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Elaine If I understand correctly he / she is talking about how the zoom tool is working in XD compared to say PS or AI. In the latter ones you click and drag to zoom in and out whereas in XD it is more of a "zoom to selection" type thing. This is also not optimal for graphic-tablet usage as you have a rather hard time zooming out (e.g. it is not really feasible and I personally therefore use the zoom tool only to zoom in and zoom out using cmd / ctrl and - combo).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work on a wacom tablet and I use smooth zooming on illustrator all the time, I would like that enabled on XD. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

• Cristian Dragos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm so used to the scrubby zoom in Photoshop that I always forget XD doesn't have it and it's pretty frustrating to use that old style marque drawing zoom!
        Please bring us the scrubby zoom... and since the scroll wheel zoom is very smooth the scrubby zoom will be a joy to use. Can't wait!

• Jazon Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would you be able to clarify what transient zoom is? I am using a Mac on OSX Sierra and when I press space-command, I am able to zoom to a region, but to clarify, what's driving me crazy is that XD doesn't offer scrubby zooming with the shortcut that's used in other Adobe programs.

What I'm requesting is the ability to click and drag to zoom in and out while holding space-command. It's very similar to option-scroll zooming, but for the sake of speed and productivity when navigating an XD document, it would be an amazing help. I am willing to upload a screen cap of photoshop, illustrator and XD if need be to further clarify.

• Jazon Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please. Please, please, include the ability to command-space scrubby zoom like in Photoshop. It's a simple request that makes a huge difference. Don't miss little things like this that widen the gap between you and Sketch.

It seems like such a small thing to include, please show continuity between apps (PS, AI, etc.) and just include the feature.

• Harold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think what Chase is referring to is how Photoshop handles zoom.
        If I hold CTRL + Space Bar (Windows Shortcut), I can use my mouse by clicking and moving left and right to zoom smoothly, and fast to any zoom percentage.

Currently many users don't use a track pad. Using a marque selection is a slower multi-step process to zoom. Using the mouse wheel to zoom also isn't nowhere as fast as the Photoshop process mentioned above.

• Chase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Utilizing shortcut Z on the keyboard to activate the magnifying glass allowing to scrub zoom (clicking and motioning in and out) or select zoom as mentioned below.

Feedback and Knowledge Base