Request details

Allow interaction wires/links from objects inside a symbol

I was so excited about the new symbols feature that I made all of my navbars in a design a symbol. This may be one of the most obvious uses of symbols, since every page will almost always have the same navbar. But you can't connect objects inside a symbol. Therefore, you can't connect nav items, icons, logos in a nav bar.

Either allow connects for objects inside symbols, but don't propagate them in all instances, or DO propagate them in all instances. But you HAVE to be able to connect objects inside symbols in prototype mode.

Otherwise, we can only get halfway to easily and efficiently editing UI elements like navbars, sidebars, and such.

Thanks

384 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David KnellDavid Knell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    DeliutakDeliutak shared a merged idea: Copy Target Navigation Across Symbols  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Cannot link objects from inside a symbol  ·   · 
    Harun AlikadićHarun Alikadić shared a merged idea: Defining elements within symbols as separate hotspots  ·   · 
    Brad DiedrichBrad Diedrich shared a merged idea: Prototype links duplicated across instances of symbols  ·   · 
    AlvaroAlvaro shared a merged idea: Linkable symbols  ·   · 
    StevoStevo shared a merged idea: Reuse Linkage for Master Navigation  ·   · 
    EmilianoEmiliano shared a merged idea: Multiple Links Duplication  ·   · 
    Joel MeineJoel Meine shared a merged idea: Allow Target Linking of Symbols that are nested within other Symbols in Prototype Mode  ·   · 

55 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Josh KappJosh Kapp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think if you collect all the use cases you'll likely find that the desired result is split between the two ideas. Navbar seems to be the most common case, which would suggest propagating links. But if you're building something sequential like a wizard-style flow, obviously each page needs a unique "Next" and "Back" link. My vote would be to have a mode to select the desired behavior for the entire symbol. As a second choice, since the sequential case is less typical, defaulting to propagating but allowing per-instance override is probably sufficient.

• Zach BruceZach Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would appreciate defaulting symbols sharing the same link, but then being able to "detach" or "override" from it.

• SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Default behaviour should be to set up links inside symbols that are universal. e.g. all instance of home icon will link back to home. Then when editing prototypes, manual overrides can be made if necessary. Similar to the way master pages work in Indesign. This would be intuitive to understand and very powerful.

• AvyAvy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my case, I would like the Symbol case to function similar to the RepeatGrid when it comes to Prototyping. In a repeat grid I can just link one particular portion (or grouped layer) and hook it up via prototyping e.g.

- Navbars
        - Tabbed content
        - Exit/Back/Forward/Toggle screens

Essentially I use the Symbols for grids/headers/footers and I want to make my mockups completely linked together - before I discovered Symbols I used the RepeatGrid which provided me with everything I needed except that one change on an artboard had to be repeated across all artboards manually vs. Symbols...but the prototyping doesn't work so I always have to ungroup my Symbol and then start prototyping which is contradicting the purpose of the Symbols

• DeliutakDeliutak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When creating a megamenu, I need to have the same top nav links link to the same target location across artboards. Instead I end up having to individually link symbols to the same target location across multiple artboards. Depending on how many links are in menu, that could be A LOT of artboards!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First step:
        Make links inside symbols global (Like in every other prototyping tool)

Second step:
        Maybe make this work like dynamic symbols in Illustrator:
        • Editing a symbol in the symbol library applies a global change
        • Editing a symbol in an instance applies only to that instance
        • Give an option to go back to the 'mother' settings of the symbol for every instance

Third step:
        • Give possibility to inlcude micro interactions for often repeated symbols (eg buttons with hover state)

Can't wait for an improvement of any kind on this!

Cannot link objects from inside a symbol (eg a menu item from within a navigation bar that is a symbol) . Pretty sure this used to work before.

• MennoMenno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Propagate the connects in all instances. So interactions should automatically apply universally to all copies of the symbol!

• Harun AlikadićHarun Alikadić commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like in InvisionApp templates. Links should be part of the symbol. Once they are set, they should be active everywhere the symbol is applied. It would be nice to go step further from Invision and make it possible to override the default symbol element link in some special screens, without affecting other screens where the symbol is applied.

• BrandonBrandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the ability to link interaction within a symbol is at least half the point. Navbars will likely be on most pages, in some form or another. Each instance needs to not need to be babysat individually.

Not sure if this has been already suggested... but how about this to chew on?

Do both. When selecting an object within a symbol...you can either further drill down, making that item a symbol, thus giving it the same functionality across all instances and future instances... AND you have the option to leave it as just another object, thus allowing for more flexibility.

If you want to get WILD, if you can figure out a way to make it behave in certain ways on certain pages... and excluding behavior on any pages not selected... whoa. :P

• Sjur GrønningsæterSjur Grønningsæter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Links inside symbols is core in navigation and menu interaction design. To be honest, this is so basic in prototyping that I’m surprised it’s not a core feature in Adobe XD from the start. Navigation design in XD is currently so time-consuming that it’s a deal-breaker.

• Harun AlikadićHarun Alikadić commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's need to select a single elements within the symbol to be linked with a screen and not the whole symbol. I use symbol for the top menu.

• Zack KeysZack Keys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like it should be a toggleable option. There are going to be some instances of an in-symbol object that I'm going to want to have a universal action and there are some that will need to change based upon location.

• Peter VinnicombePeter Vinnicombe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cant see why more people aren't voting on this - it almost makes the whole platform unusable - doing a wireframe of a 30 page website, having to create invisible squares over everything and individually linking is taking forever, not to mention very messy to update... take a look at UXPIN for inspiration, they handle it quite nicely :-P

This is one of the core essentials. Without being able to use a symbol such as your main navigation to navigate throughout a prototype its a show stopper.

• Brad DiedrichBrad Diedrich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry same as Copy-Paste should preserve interaction wires/links. Oh well more the merrier. Its basicly a combination of the last two posts.

• Brad DiedrichBrad Diedrich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be greate if there was a little checkbox in the link dialogue box to use the same link across all instances of a symbol. In sync with the previous request this means you could create one master nav bar and all the symbols it it would always go to the same art board no matter where you pasted it.
        You could have a nav bar which is a symbol, the icons in it are symbols and they always link to particular artboards and carry that linking as you paste the symbols through the project.

This is a big time saver.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base