Request details

Gradient color swatches

Thanks for adding gradients !
Right now, we can add colours to our 'favourites' with the + button, could we also save gradients when in the gradient tool?

Something really nice too would be to allow the pipette to pick the gradient of a shape/artboard.

These too would save a lot of time !!

329 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

benjamin.franck@britishgas.co.uk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    feature-in-the-backlog  ·  AdminPeter Flynn (Admin, Adobe) responded  · 

While XD doesn’t yet have this feature to save gradients in the color picker popup’s swatches, you do have several other options today:

- Store gradients in the Assets panel swatches: open the Assets panel on the left side (View > Assets), and click the “+” next to Colors. Then select any other object and click the gradient swatch to apply it to that object.

- Copy gradient fills between objects: use regular Copy on the source object, then select the destination object and choose Paste Appearance.

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Armando Scuro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- Storing gradients in assets panel would be great, except it doesn't respect the angle of the gradient when applying it to other shapes. (which is a bug on it's own, and problematic if your design has a lot of angled gradients)

- Paste Appearance is alright, but sometimes it pastes more stuff like rounded corners, borders, shadows and other effects when I don't want to, and just want the fill gradient.

but regardless of the workaround, it is inexcusable that XD still can't save gradients in color picker popup which is an extremely basic and simple feature, and to be expected of any design software even in its pre-release stages.

• Roman Pixell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(the gradient bug was reported in April already and should be quite straightforward to address)

• Roman Pixell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

adobe, please address the bug that neglects to respect the gradient angle for gradients saved as assets!

• Lesje commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Especially now in 2018 gradient galore... In XD I'm spending more time constantly creating my gradients... instead of just clicking a swatch.

• Mitch Hazam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you add support to save gradient swatches in the color picker? Its very hard to create a reusable gradient pattern. Currently you have to save individual swatches and apply them every time.

• Joel Cory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the ability to create gradients, but no way to reuse them.

Once I've created a gradient I need a way to apply it to other objects without having to recreate it for every object.

Feedback and Knowledge Base